HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Diff Q?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Diff Q? Reply with quote

why is my car all of a sudden pulling doubles when doing burnouts, its only a standard gemini diff and has never done doubles when doing burnouts, about a month ago it started doing doubles half way through a burnout, and nw does them all the time, is this wrong? does this usually happen just before the diff blows?? and im pretty sure noone has snuck under my car and welded it Razz

cheers guys
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

sounds like a TE I once owned, what you have prob done is scored the shaft the spider gears run on (Lay shaft)and now under heavy load they bind to the shaft and create a crude LSD, all should be fine until you break the pin that holds that the layshaft then it will rotate and can work it's way out and hit the pinion. then you will hear a very loud bang noise whenever you coast without load on you diff. under load it will be ok as it will be held in place but when there is no load it will be free to float out and hit the pinion, once this has happened get another complete diff ( drum to drum) and replace the whole lot as there will be metal bits in everything... I'ver personally sliced the lay shaft into 4 pieces, looked good but you eventually run our of motion and are just stuck, or it will bind up in which case rolling the car backwards usually will unlock it is you need to get home...

cheers
cheers
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

Thanks alot mate, much appreciated
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

this happened to my car about 3-4 times.
pin comes lose and its fun for about 1 month till it falls right out. then its not so fun. especally when u have 3 pizzas on the seat and u 1/2 way threw a delivery.
lol
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

this happened to my car about 3-4 times.
pin comes lose and its fun for about 1 month till it falls right out. then its not so fun. especally when u have 3 pizzas on the seat and u 1/2 way threw a delivery.
lol
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

ha sounds like that would have been messy
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

i woulda attempted to fix it and eaten the pizzas while doing so
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

hehe, i spun a bearing in my old gemi on a pizza del. was about 1km from the shop though. i just rolled back. haha, was not happy coz it was my 3rd engine in it and that one was only 3 months old.

LOL, I love it
TGCOUPgirl
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

the diff will die soon if this happens
my bf has done 4 diffs and they all do that before going BOOM!
Mr DOHCT
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

hehe pizza delivery boys

its like fat pizza maaateee fuulllyy siiiccckkk in my holden monaarrrooo
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

yeah fun doing delivery's in the gem
doing burnouts outside the store at 3am is always good

hands up all gem drivers who have done a pizza delivery job?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

there is a solution....

before fitting the diff, pull the back cover off, and punch the little pin out then replace it with and hight tension bolt and burr the end so that it does not come undone... and that way your diff will last much longer...

cheers
Eggy
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

*raises hand with massive grin on face*
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff Q? Reply with quote

ill do that, im getting a new diff on thursday...... so i got 3 more days to blow this one good and proper, but yeah after that goes ill put the new on in, and replace the pin with a high tension bolt. and go the gemmi pizza boys Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: