HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Is this an American Gemini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

Did america have a gemini? Everything except for the hatch looks like one.

http://www.sportruck.com/events/ss03/7.html
logem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

thats wat i thought when isaw it!
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

I reakon it is a customised one Smile
whackenauffe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

looks like a cut and shut,,,
gemini front end and maybe a laser rear.
either way it looks shit to me
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: ATTN: FJ2047 Reply with quote

Just enquiring whether you still have the drawings of the FJ20 engine mounts floating around anywhere that you could email me. They could come in handy for my current project.

Cheers for any help
JOSH
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

I wouldnt mid chrome bumbers like that though.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

I wouldnt mind chrome bumpers like that though.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

It's a Chevrolet Chevette
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

Yes, tis the american equivalent.

They never really took off over there as far as performance went since there werent as many engines available that could be dropped in, in fact I think GM only produced 1 RWD 4cyl engine in like a 10 year period around when the chevette wsa released
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: FJ2047 Reply with quote

woohoo! hey jordan!
long time no see
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this an American Gemini? Reply with quote

Yeah what Bugle Said, Its a Chevrolet Chevette. They had a Opel 1.7 Litre SOHC 4 Inline engine, Basically all Opel/Vauxhal Running Gear.
And yes they did have the Gemini in the US, The were sold as: 1975-79(Our TX-TD) as Opel/Buick By Isuzu(Thats the Name, Quote me on it if ya Want)
1980-90 as Isuzu I-Mark(Our TE,TF,TG(G180Z,G180W and Turbo Diesel),RB(4XC1,4XC1-T and Turbo Diesel)And JT190(4XE1,4XE1-T and Turbo Diesel)
then 1990-1993 as Isuzu I-Mark(JT191 Gemini Sedans and Irmsher R),Isuzu Stylus(JT191 Coupe and Irmsher R, Geo Spectrum(JT191 Gemini Sedan and Coupe,1.5 12 valve Engine) and Geo Storm(JT191 PA Nero,4XE1,4XE1-T)
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: The full answer... Reply with quote

Yes, it is a Gemini.

The Chevrolet Chevette was GM's answer to the Japs and the VW Beetle.

It came out in 1975, but visual similarities between our predominantly Japanese version and the Yank version are few.

There was a 3-door hatch, which shares windscreen and similar side-door profiles to our wagon/van combo, and a 5-door hatch that was built on a far longer wheelbase than our version.

While they didn't take off performance-wise, they did sell exceptionally well upon release - in 1979 it became America's top-selling passenger car, a mantle it retained for 1980.

That particular one is the photo is with the update sheetmetal that hit the market in 1979.

It was left basically unchanged right through until 1987 by which this time it had become somewhat of an anachronism - pretty well under-powered due to emissions regulations and down on comfort and shoulder room.

The Chevrolet Chevette is not to be confused with the Japanese-built Buick Opel, which was constructed by Isuzu and looked very similar to the Isuzu and Holden Gemini. This was also sold in the States, but in very small numbers.

Look out for the full story in my upcoming opus on Geminis.
(if that's not advertising, I don't know what is)

Well spotted!
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: FJ2047 Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking. Very long time.
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: movie trivia Reply with quote

I think Drew Barrimores character in the wedding singer had one.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: movie trivia Reply with quote

And adam sander had one of those Gremlin things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: