HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Severe boot rust
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

I decided tio repair the rust on the rear quarter pannel today, and ebded up ripping the sound deadener mats off of the bottom of the floor to thoroughly clean the boot out. There I find a shitload of rust. This is where the rust is:

-A hole the size of a fist in the spare tyre bit.
-a 15cmx5cm hole on the rear quarter panel
-Hole above the exhaust
-Almost every seam holding the boot floor in is non-existant
-Boot floor directly below the taillights is rusted out, up to around 10cm up below the lights.

Should I get a new boot floor or just fix it?
whackenauffe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

Just buy a new car:P
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

Like the rust in my car. I got quoted $800 to get fixed at Silverwater Smash Repairs. Coz they have to take the back window out and stuff. So i am gonna fill it with silicon till i can afford something else.

TuFf
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

I got no money and just swapped a commy for it. So I aint gettin a new car.
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

Mine is a little different. The boot sill is fine, its the floor that is fucked.
HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

i would get a new floor i had rust in my floor and now i thinmk i should of got a new floor
peanut buttered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

You could try welding sheet metal over the big stuff and fill the little stuff with body filler. Then apply a thick coat of tar to stop the rust in the future. You probably have a leaking boot like I did which led to water draining to under the spare tire and then rusting the floor out. In response to whether you should just buy a new boot pan, I would do what would take the least amount of time.

peanut man
brent47
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

Ive done both these,
Cut out boot floor searched wreckers for gemmy front ended with no rust in boot(hard to find with not much rust in boot)bit of a gemini fault rust in boot is, basically did a cut out, swap and wel in new one.

Thism ones a lil easier....there is a thickish but very flimsy time of pressed metal that u can get and u basically can mould it over the floor,push into all the grooves and so on....sprasy rusted boot with fish oil to try to prevent ne further spread of rust, then press the sheets into ur boot, then put spot welds in to basically hold it on, then get the liquid tar and paint ur boot floor basically to seal ne gaps, help hold down the pressed metal and quit the outside sound a bit, this is only a temporary thing, good for a few years until ur ready to get proper rust removal done...

Hope i could be of a help Smile

Cheers, brent
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

Ive thought about it and decided to use a sheetmetal floor to cover the existing rust. I have limited funds and need the car ASAP.

Cheers for the help.
Pavlos.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

This shouldnt be too hard to fix providing you can get a MIG welder, even a gasless MIG will work fine and costs around $50 for a weekend to hire which is enough time easily.

Now either try and find a decent boot floor from a wrecker, you will find rust but try to get one that aint too bad.

Clean it up and patch any major holes.

Cut out you boot floor so that the new one will overlap (ie: cut the hole small, not too big)

Then you should be able to clamp the new boot floor in place and tack in the edges. Weld around it so its sealed.

Grind back the splatter and neaten it up (Flap disc works wonders for this).

Seal Hit it with some rust converter to be sure and leave it for a few hours and finally seal it off with some sound deadener tar.

The other option is to cut out all the rust from your existing floor and patch the problem areas with sheet metal. U don't have to go and buy it, just use metal from an old door or something.

Good luck.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

Hahah My TE was like that so I stripped all the good shit off it and bought a 84 TG with not a spot of rust on it and put all the good stuff on that car and The TE got crushed... Rust is gay
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

i bought a WHOLE brand new floor from holden spairs for $180 and its totly shaped perfictly. cut the old onw out welded the new one in. went from the fule tank to the just below the tail lights and from left to right
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

the guy b4 me put tar shit in mine so not a spot of rust in my boot i recomend the tar dont look to setx but does the trick
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

well my boot is just FUCKED on my new gem. i fixed my red tg, but this new tg that i bought needs a new boot, i'll go down tha same route as gene and go 4 a new pan. what about the chasis rails, one of mine has a bit of rust in it, pretty severe but not unfixable. Do u reckon i should get the same thickness steel and mig weld it in where the rust was after i cut it out. It shouldn't lose much strength if any. What do u think,?

chris...
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe boot rust Reply with quote

just dont put that shit on if theres any sign of rust initially, make sure its all gone.

The guy who owned my car before me just slapped it over some areas that were about to rust and it creates the perfect area for rust to form. Lucky I got to it and fixed it before it got too bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: