HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

taking the engine out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peanut buttered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: taking the engine out Reply with quote

How long would it take to pull a gemini engine out??? I would need a crane to lift the engine out wouldn't I?? Also I'm having a huge amount of trouble (seeing my dads on business in USA) taking apart the drum brakes at the back. I've taken off nearly every bolt but I can't get inside. What am I doing wrong??? Also I have to replace the bearings. I've got to the smaller one but where is the bigger one located?? I'm so frustrated, my inexperience on drum brakes is showing.

peanut man
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

Make sure the handbrake is off, and give it a few wacks with a hammer (the flat bit). Yes you need a crane to get the engine out, and it shouldnt take too long if you have help. Just make sure you have disconnected all the hoses, wires and the clutch cable.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

You'll need either an engine crane or an endless chain. Once you get the hang of it, taking out a gemini engine shouldn't take more than an hour.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

yeah take it out and replace in 2 hours
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

it took me an hour or 2 when i had mine out first time was a shocker but now it's piss easy
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

what about the old drop the engine then lift the front of the car and roll it back leaving the engine on the dround trick??? saves crane hire!

gotta jack the car to place a crate under the sump the go to work.
HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

Use a crane it easyer make sure to use tape and number or write on the tape what all the wires are saves time when i took my gemini engine out it toook like 45 min undo every nut and bolt befor hireing the crane saves money this way u will only problem need it for 20 mins for so
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

Uh huh.
Smokey
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

if you're pov like me you can always get a large length of wood and a bit of rope, tie the rope around the engine with the length of wood resting on the bonnet, when everything is secured get a mate on the otherside and lift her out. helps if you remove the head first, as this makes it a little bit lighter. pretty easy to get it out, not much fun getting it back in, but still possible. i just did this 2 weeks ago, managed to get it back in with only 1 other guy,
peanut buttered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: taking the engine out Reply with quote

Ahhhh the hand-brake, I'm so dum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: