HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Super Charging a G-series engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

ahh ok so it depends where u want the blower to kick in and be used.
in theory, u could have 2 diff pullys and 2 diff belts and use one for high end (track ) and one for low end (street)????
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

yes indeedy, at around $100 each to be made tho... so u can buy them 4 me if u like Razz
at the moment I'm having problems with fuel supply...
i have 3 carbs to choose from... a 32/36 weber, 34 adm, or a 350 holley. 32/ 36 is on the car at the mo...
either way i need to get a blow through kit for one of them. the only one i could find for the weber has to be mailed from usa for around $50, i can get one for the holley in melb but its gonna cost around $250 to set it all up. thats not including getting a new fuel pump and reg.
thoughts anybody???
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

But as has been said before a supercharger uses power to create power, so not only will you lose lower end torque (main bonus of a supercharger) you will lose top end power trying to make more, does that make sense??? For example a huge fan on the front of the engine large losses, smaller fan less losses and more power, particularly higher in the rev range. Plus the flow will probly plateau at some point, i'm sure you just can't keep changin pulleys up and up.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

But as has been said before a supercharger uses power to create power, so not only will you lose lower end torque (main bonus of a supercharger) you will lose top end power trying to make more, does that make sense??? For example a huge fan on the front of the engine large losses, smaller fan less losses and more power, particularly higher in the rev range. Plus the flow will probly plateau at some point, i'm sure you just can't keep changin pulleys up and up.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

Thats right. However, a change in either side will give more boost. As it is all about ratios. The higher the ratio the harder it works. It makes no difference in the actual size of the pulleys, except that the larger they get, the more power they can transmit.

Loz
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

how much of a necessity is an intercooler with a blower? is water/metho injection a good idea aswell?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

turbos they say over 10 psi run a cooler. blowers may be the same?
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

www.superchargersonline.com

chris...
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

extract from www.superchargersonline.com
=======================
Heat
Because the turbocharger is mounted to the exhaust manifold (which is very hot), turbocharger boost is subject to additional heating via the turbo's hot casing. Because hot air expands (the opposite goal of a turbo or supercharger), an intercooler becomes necessary on almost all turbocharged applications to cool the air charge before it is released into the engine. This increases the complexity of the installation. A centrifugal supercharger on the other hand creates a cooler air discharge, so an intercooler is often not necessary at boost levels below 10psi. That said, some superchargers (especially roots-type superchargers) create hotter discharge temperatures, which also make an interooler necessary even on fairly low-boost applications.

chris...
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

i think 32/36 would be a bit on the small side
but the 350 may be a bit to big or it could be perfect
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

after quite a bit of research on "what carb is best" for an 1800cc engine, ive found that the 350 is actually an overkill, and the 40mm (i think maybe 42 or 44) was the best suited, but i guess it all depends on a number of factors.
just thought id point out that ive only heard negative feedback on the holley as far as the G series goes...
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

yes i fuly agree. the 32/36 would be to small.

BTW: this is the 1000th post in the R&D WWWOOOHHHOOOOOO
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Borderline post... Reply with quote

HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI posted saying "why super charge when u can dump a 2.6 or v6 in it not really work doing a super charge"

This sort of post is not appropriate, it was not constructive and a poorly educated 6 year old somalian child *should* have better english skills than those demonstrated here. I've sent a warning email to HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI but from now on posts like this will result in a ban.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Super Charging a G-series engine Reply with quote

the 32/36 will still do the job, u will do better on the dyno with a 32/36 than a holley though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: