HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Head Light upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

Since i have owned my gem i have been driving around with the dreaded sealed beam headlights. I own a tg, but i prefer the neat "no badge" look of the te fronts so i installed the te front grill and lights but still use the plastic tg bumpers.
Getting to the point, i was sick of the sealed beam quality, i bought 2 brand new reflector cones that take the h4 bulbs. At 25 bucks each, they fit straight into the clamp that the sealed beams used and, there is no need to change the wiring plug as they fit the h4 bulbs.
At first i used the 100/90 bulbs but they get too hot in the gem sized reflector and i blew them, i am now using the 60/55 chrystal blue bulbs and they are 200% better!
For anyone that is sick of the quality of thier lights, i would really recomend this upgrade, plus my tg reflectors were faded anyway.
Another neat trick when fitting a te gril to a tg, consedering that te's had an indicator in the guard and the parker beside the lights, i put an orange bulb in the parker and just plugged it into he original wiring plugs for the tg indicators. The result is a neat look, with clear indicator lenses and completely roadworthy. The amber color of the bulb comes through really good as well.

'Always had a thing for clear indicators' out!
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

I used Carolla KE55 Lights, Im using the standard 55/60 globes that came in it. They plug straight into the gem plug. They only cost $35 for the pair.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

did u have the big commo style lights?
they are not sealed beam headlights.
using 100/90 globes i thort it would of blown fuses?

Thats not bad for head lights i paid $46 i think for a pair of brand new ones.
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

If your really keen the light has Koito LX19 marked on it, you could get these new if you want dont know the cost.
Also a toyota hi-lux has the same headlights as a gem, i had a look today on my mates car i think post 1994 hi-lux came with semi-sealed headlights
thats all for now
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

Yeah you can buy the semi sealed headlights for the hilux without globes for about $30-$40 each brand new.
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

Just make sure you buy new globes when you put the lights in, I didnt and had the LHS low beam go on my way home from work, didnt bother me, the cops didnt like it.
So i picked up a pair of 55/60 from super cheep for $6
Im waiting on a set of 55/100 Blue ones! hard to find
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Light upgrade Reply with quote

They are actually called a 2BX Semi Sealed headlight and i've been quoted around the $45 each mark new...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: