HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Whats the difference???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custom
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

I have been busting my nuts over this for the last few days, hit the "SEARCH" button a million times and still I am stunned like a nun waking up in a pub.
Take a G200 engine and a G180 engine, The g200 is stock ok, and the g180 is worked up to stock g200 specs.
Witch engine would push out more power?

Correct me if i'm wrong but from what I gather, both engines are the same apart from bore sizes and a few other (internal) things yes? And looking at the two blocks side by side, most people wouldn't know the difference if the G200 or G180 were not stamped on them, yet the worked g180 pumps the g200 in a drag???
If I were to go and work the g200 (as we know it is limited as far as 'how' much work can be done to them)
all Mr. G180 has to do is get a bigger cam installed and we are back at square 1.
How can I get more bang out of this G200 without going turb, supercharger, or nitro? Its fucking embarresing telling ppl you got a cool 2.0 ltr and a fucking 1.8 blows your doors clean off your car!
What am I doing wrong?
HELP!!!
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

is a diff in g180 amd g200 cranks, but are both interchangeable, g200 has different rods, oil pump, timing chain tensioner. has lower come head that then g180.. lots of small things. heaps of reasons motors run different, timing, compression, carby ,
Custom
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand but the 2.0 is a bigger engine in terms of output and what not, thats why I don't get why the 1.8 can push more if it worked to the same as a 2.0...

I am asking this because my cuzz and I are doing this experiment changing bits, working things out, generally seeing what works best.
Could it be the head? I mean the 1.8 to 2.0 using the original 1.8 head and the 2.0 using the 2.0 head?
Ther would be a fair amount of difference in compression between the two wouldn't there?
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

The G180 done up to G200 spec is more powerful because it has a better head than the G200.
Custom
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

So if I put the g180 head onto a g200 block it would have more power too???
Andrew65
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

G180 = more revs = more power
G200 = more torque , lower revs
rods are the diff
put 1800 rods in the 2lt and 1800 head on the 2lt and yur gone.Or better still a 1600 head on the 2lt with 1800 rods.
problem is after doing this you need to look at fuel.
º¿º
it never ends
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the difference??? Reply with quote

They are different engines in the way they make their torque, peak torque on an 1800 is at a higher rpm due to the shorter stroke. Therefore, if you want to go quicker with a stock 2L, then you have to gear everything relatively taller, and change gears sooner, instead of revving the things tits off.

Basically, if you sink $1500 into each engine, then the 2L equipped car will be quicker.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: