HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Dummy fitted the CA18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Dummy fitted the CA18 Reply with quote

Was trying to avoid some university work, so I dummy fitted my CA18 today. Had to remove the front drop sump, it will be carefully modified for the right balance between a low profile and good oil control, naturally I want the motor as low and rearward as possible.

The Gearbox fits in the tunnel fairly well, but the handbrake will need to be moved rearwards roughly 6 inches, the fuel lines cross the trans tunnel right where the shifter hole needs to be, so they'll have to be moved. Because the CA18 block is narrower (than a g series block) the mounts will have to 'span' a fairly large gap, which will make things interesting.

Thankfully the alternator is mounted on the inlet side, so there is nothing else getting in the way of the turbo manifold and piping (once the air-con and P/steering mounts were removed), still not much room to work with but it should all fit in there.

No photos yet.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dummy fitted the CA18 Reply with quote

how u gonna move the handbrake??? cut the whole section out and move it?? i was thinking of making a remove shifter for the fj box.
think that would work easyer?
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dummy fitted the CA18 Reply with quote

yeah it "feels" nice where mines ended up.
but seems to much work to move the handbrake.

i was thinking of trying to make some kind of remote shifter. are the shifters the same?? do u think it would be posable to do a remote one?
iv seen it in a gemini before and it came close but acceptable.

gene

PS: where would i sorce a clutch fork for my box?? i bought the engine and box and it didnt come with a fork or throw out bearing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dummy fitted the CA18 Reply with quote

Yep, just planning on cutting the whole handbrake box and moving it the least amount I have to. I could just got and buy a DR30 'stumpy' gearbox for the Ca18, but as you might have noticed, I'm pretty tall so I quite like where the gearlever ends up.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dummy fitted the CA18 Reply with quote

Adam, i've heard of a fair few people adapting the 'stumpy 5 speed' to a CA18DET, have you researched this box at all ? I'm curious about their power handling capabilities. I know that Andrew Reynolds is running one of these behind his CA powered Datto 1200 and he is pushing approx 200kw at the rears. I haven't found any info on them, just that they are one of the prefered boxes behind the CA18.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: