HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: few questions Reply with quote

Question1. Can anyone tell the difference in the close ratio and normal ratio gearbox external with out having to open the dam box up, this is for the jap import g180 dohc box?

Question2. does anyone now if it is possible 2 use 2 litre camira parts, such as efi computer (as long as it its a bosch computer it should plug in, but whether it will work i don't no) and airflow sensor on the G180 dohc engine.
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: few questions Reply with quote

for no 1 . i was speaking to some one a while ago about this and they said that you can feel the difference
on non turbo g180&g200w motors but not didn't notice that much .
for no 2.another person that was on here a while ago
was running a delco camira i think but had a lot of trouble with it
and got a programable item in the end
hope this helps zzz
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: few questions Reply with quote

with diffs you can turn them and count the ratio of drive shaft to axle. You could try that with the gearbox also Smile
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: few questions Reply with quote

The efi computer as used on the series 2 (i think) camira was actually a good piece of kit, quite advanced for the time. There is a software program called "Kalmaker" that actually makes the ecu into a fully programmable unit able to be tuned to any motor. There was a article in Fast Fours about this a coupla years ago, they actually used it to drive a turbo suby! might wanna ask about which back issue! Definately a cheaper option if u can source the program!
cheers
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

To calculate a diff ratio or any other tooth/cog driven ratio, you divide the driven item by the driving item.
Example...
On a diff, you would divide the crownwheel (driven item) by the pinion gear (driving item).
33 teeth on the crownwheel divided by
9 teeth on the pinion
gives a ratio of....
3.666:1

Same goes for gearbox ratios, blower ratio's etc. etc.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

yeah but I dont think he wanted to open the box up Razz
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

u can drop the box and turn the out put shaft and count the rotations on the input shaft
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

there is a way, theres some sort of marking on the outside of the box from memory...

this is sorta a useless post tho so i apologise, i just cant for the life of the remember what it is... going back in time a long way here
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

my box is not in the car, im just building the engine at the moment, so i should be able to fuck with it. i just din't want to open it up.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

there is a way to see wat box u have. the very early ones had two bolts holding the shifter in these have a longer first gear. and the one has three bolts holding the shifter in they have a short first gear
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ratio's Reply with quote

i recon i have three bolds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: