HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engineer's Cert for G200?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

G'day
I have an idea that in Qld I need a engineer's certificate if I put a G200 in my car to get it legally registered... is this true?

Thanks,
Robbo
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

not at all.
pig75
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

you need a mod plate
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

ah yes you do need a mod plate if you put a 2l into a gem. since it was never an option in australia
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

Ah, no u dont need a mod plate.... I have been through all this crap (Have a G200 in my TX), and was told by the right people that it was un-necessary. The G200 fitment is NOT a conversion, nothing has to be fabricated or substantially altered for it's fitment. An engineer told me that you can go so far as having anything from the same family of engine in your ride without warranting a mod plate (providing it's not a big increase eg: 307 Chev then fitting a 454 Chev big block). Another example... R33 GTS-T Skyline fitted with an RB25DET can have an RB30ET fitted with minimal, if any, legal issues.
When i got my car done, it was unregistered. Got rego for da day, drove to Brisvegas, picked up the 2 litre, drove home, fitted it in two days (I like to take my time to make sure it's right), went to D.O.T with engine and chassis numbers, 10-15 mins later it was registered and i was on my way - it really is that simple here in QLD.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

What about a twincam ? here in SA regency will give me shitall info on getting it rego'd. Basically they say "fil out a form and see"

I have the vented disc brakes, aftermarket comp and plan on fitting fuel filler neck soon.
pig75
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

this is a quote from the modifications book (Section 1 Minor Modifications. Replacement engines that are offered by the manufacturer AS AN OPTIONAL ENGINE FOR THAT MODEL VEHICLE may be fitted without obtaining approval).
Since when has a Gemini come out with a 2 litre motor in it. You need a mod plate, I'd prefer to pay to get the mod plate than to pay a fine for not having one, also insurance may be void without a plate
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

yea i got a plate on my g180 just for that reason, some say u need em some say u dont its one of the grey areas .
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

transport dep told me i didnt need one when i went and changed my eng num, but guy that mod plated my gearbox said i did. so i got one just to be safe only coast me $50 so
Knobby
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

how much did it cost you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

moral of the story don't be a tight ass get a mod plate then all is good
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer's Cert for G200? Reply with quote

bah how the fuck they gonna tell if its not a 1600 they all look identical if your really worried grind the g200 bit off the block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: