HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Help - Reverse Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

I just finished the 4 to 5 speed conversion and when it was all finished the reverse lights come on in 4th not reverse!
Have I just knocked the sensor as I was putting it in so it sensors 4th as reverse or is it more searious? Im stuck! If not can I just wire a switch to the dash?
Thanks
Tex
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

There is a high gear switch and a reverse switch on the gearbox. you have wired up your reverse wire to the high gear switch thats all. I believe the reverse switch is on the other side of the box to the high gear switch
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

whats the high gear sensor for anyways?
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

It's hooked up to the nikki so that when you back off in a high gear it keeps the mixture a little richer.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

With the standard carby it is used to set the fuel differently for coasting when you're in overdrive & on the highway, etc.
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

The reverse lights only come on in 4th and not in 5th so can it still be a high gear switch prob?
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

yes it can, coz to MY KNOWLEDGE 4th and 5th are overdrive so swap it over and u'll be right as rain!
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

You better be right cause the cable that comes from the loom wont allow the two to be swapped, the first one is shorter than the back one, unless it is the opp. on the 4 speeds. And your explanation doesnt clear up why they come on in 4th and not 5th
Sorry about the abuse its just i cant drive until its fixed
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

Tex our explanation states EXACTLY why it comes on in 4th and 5th. It's to richen up the mixture for high speed coasting. They are on opposite sides on the 5 speeds to the 4 speeds so tack a bit of extra wire on it and problem solved.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

if its not right it will only blow a hole in ya g/box
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

Thanks I will go and test your theory on the wrong wiers, it just doesnt sound right. If not I will wire up a switch on the dash, do you know if its legal to do that in Vic?
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

dont worry man, we're not bullshitting you
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Reverse Lights Reply with quote

Im not worried about that, I went "hunting" with my test light today and found the prob! the wires were all crossed up thats what was fucking me over, all good now! I can use 4th again!!
Thanks to everyone who told me what to do/offered advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: