HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Pls Help!! Swaybar probs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

I've lowered the ol' girl but now my rear sway bar creaks and groans when driving. I got underneath for a look and the mounting points on the diff are bent inwards, I assume due to the lowering. Has anyone else had this problem??
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

the sway bar can bend 2 ways(off the diff mounts)... make sure its not hitting the torque tube... this is a common problem.
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

Yeah, but each side is bending inwards towards the diff and making a hell of a noise! When u put weight on the boot (like sitting on it) it makes a shitty creaking sound...

I'll check the torque tube, thanks for that
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

Just checked the torque tube, thats exactly whats happening, the sway bar is resting on the top the diff to torque tube housing!! How do you get around that one?! Is it just too low?
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

By the way, its not that low in the back, the top of the wheel arch is about an inch from the top of the tyre.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

I just lowered my car last w/e and it's got the same problem... it's a TG. do i need a new rear sway bar?

Josh
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

I was considering removing it, is that dodgy? Is it true the early models had no sway bar?
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

its not dodgy to remove it but it will have more body roll even tho it is lowered... you may find that if you put the mounts facing upward off the diff then it will clear the TT.
I had a similar prob on my first ZZ/Z, and rectified it by moving the mounts to face upward.. still had the odd squeak.. but that was the springs shifting
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

My TX doesn't have any sway bars, but after fiddling around wit a TG's suspension it got me wondering if it was easy enough 2 swap parts over. I crawled under my car, and found bolt holes in the same locations to fit a front item. So i'm gathering that it can be done - although i am yet to read a post about someone swapping them into a TX/TC. Anyone out there care 2 shed some light on this 'conversion' ? It's got me curious now...
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: ATTN. YellaTE: Try This. Reply with quote

I had this problem, if the sway bar mounts on the diff are pointing down, it will push the sway bar forward and after a while it will push the rubber bushes out of the body mounts and the swaybar will be rubbing against metal (this is the creaking noise), to fix this you jack up the back of the car (jack it up from the body because you need the diff to be hanging down) and with a screwdriver lever the mount so it points upwards. you might have to put the rubber bush back in the mount where the swaybar connects to the body aswell. Hope this makes sense to you.
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

LOK15 was spot on! Fixed it up last night, Josh, I assume you have the same prob. Unbolt the swaybar from the axle and tilt those brackets upwards instead of downwards and bobs your uncle!! Its all good now! Smile
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

yes driftA, u can fit sway bars off tgs onto tx's, strait bolt up, 6 bolts all up.
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pls Help!! Swaybar probs. Reply with quote

Cheers bluepanno, now i'm on another mission to make the Gem handle just that bit better. Swaybars, here i come.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: spot on! Reply with quote

yerp u fellas were right... It must have fell down when i changed the rear shocks... Thanks again NO MORE SQUEEKS!!!

Josh
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN. YellaTE: Try This. Reply with quote

That was it, yeah. Thanks alot for yr help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: