HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

Managed to get the diff out of my twincam the other day (man that things weighs a ton!) and now im ready to get the rest of the drivetrain out

i'm a bit confused as to how i disconnect the driveshaft from the gearbox. I can see where the rear mounts for the g/b are but i can't see any bolts that look like they hld the drive shaft and rear of the box together...

the books and on here says "rear yolk" and "12mm" bolts

if someone could explain what i should be unbolting and where they are it'd be a big help

cheers
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

is it those two little bolts at the top rear of the box? how do they hold the driveshaft in?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

4x12mm bolts at the rear of the tail shaft joining it to the torque tube. and there are no bolts holding it to the gearbox, it will just slide out, DONT LOSE THE SPRING!
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

Remember to mark the tailshaft and where it mounts so that you can put it back together the same way.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

what do u have to mark?? it can only go in one way?
iv dont it heaps and never marked anything??
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

i think he meant the tailshaft from the torque tube, if u bolt it up different to wat it was, it may but not neccesarily always put out the balance.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

Yup thats why i was always told to do that, im sure there may be more reasons though, its mentioned in workshop manuals also...
DOHC_TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

It's factory balanced in that position so if you put in a different position it could upset the balance.

cheers
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

Thanks for that, i knew there was a reason properly, but i could just remember always doin it that way...
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

cheers guys
it was a bit of a mission getting the driveshaft out of the diff but it came out eventuall

fark that thing weighs a ton! maybe its the dirty big discs and calipers on it but geezus
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

not that heavy??
my disks didnt make it weigh anymore?

well the whole marking thing sounds right lol. iv never done it. probly explain the vibrating at 110km/h LOL
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: help! getting gearbox and driveshaft problem Reply with quote

If its vibrating have ya also realligned the diff/torque tube after lowering it??? Just a few shims or washers on the mount at the front of the torque tube should do the job, i think whiteline sells a kit full of the washers, but a fasteners joint would have em anyways... Also the vibrating will wear out ya bushes and shit quicker won't it???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: