HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Handling FAQ --(Adam Gibson)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 9:16 am    Post subject: Handling FAQ --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Ok, handling, this is my speciality, this is about the only thing my gemini will do you see....

Firstly decide if you want to lower it or not, my getrude (1978 TD sedan) isn't because of my driveway, then buy a set of stiffer springs in the appropriate ride height, whiteline or king springs would be my suggestion, and if you go for lowered aim for about 50mm lower than stock (measured from the centre of the wheel to the guard).

I have stock height uprated king springs on the front and rear of Gertrude, the front springs were purchased as replacements as the original front springs had cracked, a common problem on geminis, the soft part of the spring (the top) cracks, hard to see without removing the spring.

As the fronts were being replaced we fitted new rack ends, tie-rod ends, upper and lower ball joints and repacked the wheel bearings. This, combined with tightening a loose steering wheel and a thorough wheel alignment returned gertrude to more or less factory specs, plus stiff front springs.

At this point the 22 year old dampers were replaced with monroe GT gas shock absorbers. This combination remain as it for about three weeks until while carrying 240kg of gravel in the boot the left rear spring developed sag of about an inch, soooo, the rear springs were replaced with standard height uprated kingsprings.

The gemini now felt much better through fast corners, the back end no longer tending to roll.

With this new found handling urging us on we fitted a whiteline uprated front swaybar, great piece of kit, bolted straight up, much less front end roll, the car now understeers far less when I take it too hot into a corner and oversteers ever so mildly if I punt the throttle mid-corner in the wet, not even enough to justify (much) opposite lock.

Next on the planned list of mods is a whiteline rear swaybar, this should rid Gertrude of all traces of understeer.

If you lower your gemini you will need to raise the front mounting point of the diff or else you will hop and skip around corners, you will also need to buy an adjustable panhard rod to correct the left-right alignment of the diff.

Other than that, consult the whiteline website for suggested front end alignment figures, buy a set sticky tyres, I suggest yokohama A-XXX series tyres, 195/45(50?)/R15 on 6 inch wide rims.

The best part about a car which will take almost any corner at the legal speed limit is your insurance company won't use it as an excuse to ass rape you.

Just a quick recap

1. Replace all old ball-joints, bearings, rack ends, tie-rod ends and bushes.

2. New shock absorbers, Konis if you have the money, Monroe GT gas if you don't.

3. New springs, stiffer, lower if you want to, stock if you have a driveway like mine.

3a. If you lower your gemini correct the alignment by raising the diff mounting point and fitting an adjustable swaybar.

4. New uprated swaybars front and rear by whiteline ( http://www.whiteline.com ).

5. Buy the stickiest 195 tyresthat you can afford on 15x6 rims.

6. Fit better seats because if you do all that you will corner harder than a rollercoaster.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 9:28 am    Post subject: correction --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

point 3a should read

" 3a. If you lower your gemini correct the diff alignment by raising the front mounting point and fitting an adjustable PANHARD ROD"

not an adjustable swaybar although whiteline sells them both
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: