HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

supercharge the barina?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach85
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

after talking to some folks about my options im now thinking along the lines of...
-New 15" aLLoys
-Extractors
-New 2.5" exhaust system
-Agze Supercharger
-New Cams (what sort do you folks suggest?)

any comments would be nice..

thanx
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

that would be expensive as for the sort of gains you'd get. get a gemi or a datto or an old school mazda and drop a extend port 12a or 13b or something in. you can get 12a's for about $600 and they go hard.
if however you do want to go with the barina, cams might be hard to find, so you might have to ring crow cams or go to an engine place and get yours reground to what you want. if you are going to do the cam you might aswell port and polish your head, that will probably cost about $400.
the supercharger would probably go well but a turbo would be better, if u have the money...
good luck
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

yeah also its a gemini forum. take your hairdresser-mobile elsewhere
thanomis
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

hay man dont lisent to the guy about the turbo your never goin to beet anyone in a straght line so the only way you will beet someone is off the mark i would go the supercahrger..... and by the way i also drive a how did you put it oh thats right a hairdressers car!
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

How about dropping a suzuki gti engine in the barina?
Zach85
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

ill be quite happy with the barina thankyou
im in this more for the fun factor rather than the fast factor, anything more is a bonus

supercharger, intercooler, 15" alloys, extractors and 2.5" exhaust and i'll be cruzin.

thanx for your help folks
NATHMAN
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

youd wanna have a thick wallet opel engines cost shit loads to get turbo or supercharger fitted my old man payed $5500 for a turbo intercooler for our 96 frontera
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

I reakon that's the way to go. Stick in the GTI engine and then do the work to that, will turn out heaps better
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

more after market parts for a suzuki gti engine too. put some fat wheels on the front too... wheelspin is gonna be a bitch
Zach85
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

from what ive been told it can be done for under $500 and if this is true (which i will find out quite soon) you people that pay $5000 for one and (other forum) $2000 for an exhaust job are getting seriously ripped.
Zach85
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

my barina HAS the gti engine in it im told.. twin cam rather then the single cam.. which was the only majour difference apparantly.

regards
dunger
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

hey the only reason they r getting ripped is because they want thier car to last unlike you, paying 500 for a shit job which will last 2 weeks if that!

peace joe
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

the actual supercharger itself will cost close to $500, then u have to get the mounts, the drive belts, the plumbing, the extractors, exhaust, etc. if you can do it for $500 i'd like to know how.
Zach85
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

i was talking price of the supercharger being around just under $500 and the exhaust system installed for the barina is just over $600.. nowhere near the $1200 i was told i will be spending on another forum, i havnt looked into the cost of installing the supercharger and i had budgeted for around $1000 anyway, so thats not going to be a problem... also helps when the old man is a mechanic by trade.
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: supercharge the barina? Reply with quote

If exhaust A costs 500 and exhaust B costs 1200, there must be a reason. My guess would be the 500 dollar exhaust uses shit mufflers and would most likely be press bent, as opposed to mandrel bend (flows better, must for forced inducted cars) for the 1200 exhaust.

If you do have the twin cam GTI engine, try fitting the EFI off the latter model? (i assume ur car is the 85 model, i think they were carby correct me if im wrong) My choice would be keep mods naturally aspirated, tractions easier to come by.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: