HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

aftermarket fuel pump
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

ok i need a fuel pump, some advice ive been givin is go the holley blue but then others say stay clear of it.

its for a worked n/a 2litre with twin carbs.
what have people used or would recommend
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

i has a g180 with twins and used a holley blue. Worked fine just ensure u run a switch to ur dash somewhere for safety reasons. U dont need anything over 12-14psi (which is what the blue is rated at) for n\a. turbo is a diff ball game...
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

hey is the holley pump loud ???
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

very.. it will resonate through ur car even as ur driving. Makes a good impression on start up though (whining sound). Ppl think u've got some sort of monster V8 - this will be further enhanced if u've got some spastic sort of cam as well... hehe (memories)
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

hmmmm ok i was considering mounting it in the rear of my wagon where the tank sits underneath.

i dont wont it to be noisy as all shit.
what are some other options u know ?
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

very.. it will resonate through ur car even as ur driving. Makes a good impression on start up though (whining sound). Ppl think u've got some sort of monster V8 - this will be further enhanced if u've got some spastic sort of cam as well... hehe (memories)
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

ok... go to jaycar or autobarn. Ask for some sound deadening material (sheet of bout 30cm x 70cm). Apply underneath where ur going to mount the pump, and all surrounding areas with adhesive glue. Then bolt down the pump ensuring there is no play in the mounting brackets and that they hold the pump up firm.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

ok sweet thats what i was thinkin and ill mount it underneath the rear near the tank.
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

Goodluck..

i wish someone would help with my predicament..... im stuck for thoughts. (see below)
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

why not a carter fuel pump it comes witha bracket and sound deadning material and pumps at a weber friendly 4psi and pumps 72gph. Its about $150 ib think and its a lot better than a holley blue that is noisy as shit.

Another option is to get a fuel pump from a autoshop for about $90 these are even quieter than a carter and holley
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

YES!! FUCKING LOUD!! they shit me off something cronic!!!
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

i had one in my wagon at the rear and i could hear it over EVERYTHING!! fucking loud piece of shit. i replaced it with a stock pump cos it anoyed me so much
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket fuel pump Reply with quote

I would aggree, the carter from what I heard is a better and cheaper pump, but then again, I know people using the Holley pumps with no probs, but they are noisy.

Whichever pump, you should use a rubber coated mounting bracket with rubber pads aswell to absorb some vibration.

Even a cheaper facet pump will probably supply enough fuel.

Is the standard pump not supplying enough fuel? Is it running on 12 volts, dou you have good flowing needle and seats. This is usually a problem.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: ben wight Reply with quote

hey
ok the engine does not have a mechanical pump. im in the middle of a full rebuild and the engine ive built is a worked 2 litre. the wagon also does not have an electric pump mounted as per factory to the tank as i know some sedans do. therefor im trying to find the best pump to use to supply my fuel from tank to carb.
i believe the electrical factory pumps have been deemed to work fine but have also been known to shit themselves. therefor i think ill go along the lines of an aftermarket pump.

what is the carter u mentioned before ??? another electrical pump ?? similar to the holley ???
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: ben wight Reply with quote

A carter is an after market electric pump, I have been told that they are more reliable than a holley. They are similar in size, but I think they are different in type. One is a diagprham pump, and the other is something else. I cant really remember, but then again, thats not really important. They cost a bit less, less than $150 the last time I checked. There are two models from memory, a 7psi unit, and a 4 psi unit, they both flow heaps. Ask any auto shop, they will be familiar.

I would also look at cheper electric pumps, like Facet, they make decent pumps for under $100.

When I said stock pump, I meant a standard electric sedan pump. I didn't realise you had a wagon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: