HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Electrical Question: Coil!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

Alrite here goes...
Yesterday! i replaced my G200 with a better nick one, started off disconneting wires from Blown engine (which wasnt very many offcourse)

Now! at the stage reconnecting those wires too my new G200. OK done!

i turn key too the 1st possition, the warning lights come on (ok cool!)

i turn key too the 2nd position, accessories come on & also more warning lights on the dash (which is a good!)

Than i click it over too 3rd place, the starter motor kiks in and the engine cranks over and it starts up (running sweet as) UNTIL! i put the key back into 2nd position than the engine cuts out AND YES i can keep the engine going if i hold the key in position 3 BUT that will fukup the starter motor up...

I want the engine too stay on when going from 3rd Key too 2nd key!!!

Im getting sparks too the plugs and coil!
Fuels running fine!
Carbys in good nick!
Its deffiently a electical Fault, im gonna hav another look at it 2morrow (Tuesday)

Any Suggestions??? neone?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

I've got what I reckon will almost certainly be your problem, there should be two wires giving power to the coil, one from the start position giving a full 12 volts and the other from the ballast resistor giving reduced power... $5 says the second one isn't connected.

To check this, try running 12 volts straight from your battery to the coil and then start the car, but *DO NOT LEAVE IT LIKE THIS FOR LONG* or you will burn out your points.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

I've got $5 on that part of the circuit too. If both wires are on the coil, by-pass the ballast resistor (the white ceramic thing mounted on the coil bracket) by bridging a wire across the terminals of the resistor. They are a fickle bastard and will fail when you need them most.

Cheers, Yonnee.
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

ballast resistor might have had it, its the small white block next to ur coil. i had my coil on 12 volts for about 3000km now and points are still fine cause i by passed the resistor when it buggered up
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

Sweet!!!
Its fixed. all i did was bridge a wire from the + side off the battery too the coil side off the white resistor...

Now the only problem is every time i wanna turn it off i hav too pop the bonnet. lol. nah . 2morrow ill have too wire up a seperate relay circuit just for the coil... so that will save me the hassle.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

orrrr you could track down the problem and fix it properly Wink
You say you ran power to the coil side of the ballast resistor (efectivly bypassing it), did you check if there's power on the other side... there probably is and all you need is a ballast resister, less than 10 bucks mate
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

ooooooohhhhhhh... well ill just go get my multimeter and click the key too the 2nd position and see if im getting ne power too the other side off the ballast resister...
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

good idea Smile
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

i have a coil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Question: Coil! Reply with quote

If you don't have power in the original wire goin to the ballast resistor dont just connect 12V straight to the Ballast Resistor as it will get very hot and cook it.
Did it to my Datsun 200B...

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: