HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

installing 2000 model celica seats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

i just fitted 2000 model celica seats to my td gemini panelvan. it was a days job and they are in perfect. firstly i removed the gemini rails from the old crusty seats and angle grinded off the spring mechanism rails. I then welded the original gemini rails shut so they didnt slide. i had to angle grind the bolt holding "flange!?" pieces off of the celica rails to obtain a flat surface that would sit flush to my adapting plates. I then welded 50mm x 5mm steel plates to the top outer side of each gemini rail,as the celica rails sat about 30 mm to wide each side. the plates were about 450mm long. I then welded the gemini rails to my flat surfaced celica rails after lining them up and marking where they should sit in the car (by "rails" i mean the adapting plate aswell as they are aprt of the rail). I welded the inner rail first however, so i could sit the seat in the car and tack the outer rail just to make sure that the holes would line up with the bolts when i had finished. I then removed the seat and finished the weld. I covered it all up in nice black paint and they look million bucks. They are better than a factory fit as i did beefy welds every where. i uses all the original bolts, so i think it's all legal, and will probably replace the front four with high tensile items soon. it took me a while to think of the way to do it but im very happy with the result. i hope this info assists with future seat installations and cant wait to show off my seats on the adelaide cruise.
Danny
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

pictures???
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

where can i post them? Should i just send them to this site to be put up?
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

pics have been mailed to joe and hopefully will be put up soon
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

if you e-mail them to me i can put them up on my site for u straight away... byteme22@optushome.com.au
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

or you could go to www.webshots.com and create your own album...it costs nothing..
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

pics can be see at :

www.webshots.com/user/byteme22

or directly thru

http://community.webshots.com/album/70441956lPofhz
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

how much were the seats?
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: installing 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

i picked them up from a1 auto on grndjunction road ( which sadly no longer exists) for the bargain price of $220 the pair Smile
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

Nice seats, but two observations...

Firstly, find a good motor trimmer and see if you can get some matching fabric for the centre panel of the seats. Have the trimmer embroider "gemini" in a new panel to replace the "celica" panel. Then you could use leftover fabric to create some nice door trims to match the seats.

Secondly, get the dash recovered!!!

Cheers, Yonnee.
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 model celica seats Reply with quote

give him time, junior

as he said..

"its stock as yet. I will have this thing mental quite soon. more pics as i do it up!"
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OK rusty.... Reply with quote

Two things,
I've read through this thread twice now and nowhere can I see where Doomboy stated what you quoted,

And secondly, Who are you calling Junoir.!!? I'm on the wrong side of Thirty!!!

Besides, it was a suggestion for anyone in general that was planning on retro-fitting a set of seats from another vehicle. Nothing looks more out of place than an odd pair of seats from a different vehicle that don't match the rest of the interior, particularly the rear seat. And it just finishes it off to match a panel on the door trim.

Yonnee.
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: OK rusty.... Reply with quote

two things... i need not make them match the rear seats as they are in a panel van, and the quote rust3 speaks of accompanies the pictures of my car in the "stock" gallery of this site... yes i do need a new dash
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: OK rusty.... Reply with quote

Yes I saw the photos of the the seats and yes I realise yours is a panel van and yes I was merely giving a friendly suggestion that others could do something similar If they had a sedan/coupe/wagon to the rear seats...
after all, isn't that what this site is about. Besides, R&D is not the place to have this conversation... Adam will ban us!!! Surprised)

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: