HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

New stereo in TE, please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: New stereo in TE, please help Reply with quote

hi guys, i'm really fuckin clueless when it comes to this shit, this is my first car and i'm learning. in my te, there is a plywood board, then the fuel tank in the boot. is it safe to put a sub in the boot without blowing myself up? also, how could i get the original head unit out of the TE centre console? it's an sl, so it only has the AM radio. would this gap be big enough to put a cd head unit in? thanks heaps
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New stereo in TE, please help Reply with quote

also, i want to drop a new engine in my gemmi. the stock one lacks in the power department a fuckin stack. on this forum, rodeo engines seem to get brought up a bit. what would be a good type to put in a TE, and be able to turbo it. and how much would it cost, approximately, to get the engine, turbo system, new exhaust and have it put in?
Brockblugem
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New stereo in TE, please help Reply with quote

hey man, dont fear about your petrol tank.... ive got a 1000 watt amp in my boot and plan on puttin in 2x 15inch subs....you wont blow yourself up.... as for the head unit do what you need to do to get it out, you should be perfectly ok to put in a cd player mine fits and i know of alot of others........BBG
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New stereo in TE, please help Reply with quote

what would be the way to go to get a 10 inch sub with enclosure (i am planning on getting both when i get the head unit, which will be in about a week) into the boot of the gem with as much room as possible remaining. i am in a band and i need close to the whole boot for guitar amps and shit. i was going to re fabricate the ply board protecting the fuel tank as it looks a bit shit, could i do something with that?
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

dude, ur first gem, settle for the donk u got and do some simple mods to her, weber/extractors/exhaust/cam maybe, and u will smile. the cd player will fit in but ull have to cut the plastic facia/strip that covers the standard radio/air vent controllers to make a DIN size headunit to fit in. as for the plywood in the boot, u could make another board up out of thicker wood and cover it up to neaten it up a bit. build a small ten inch enclosure for ya sub so it can be taken out for wen u need boot space. and before u ask, i assume u will be purchasing a pair of 6x9s, u need to build another parcel tray to mount them and clear them from the fuel tank, ive found 18mm mdf works a treat.
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

thanks man. how easy is it to make an enclosure and take it out, like can u just disconnect the leads and take the box out? i always thought the leads were soldered together? also, i already have 2 4" 2 ways, 2 tweeters and a 1000 watt amp, i want to get an xplod sub as i've heard they suit small enclosures really well. the dood at brisbane car sound said my best bet would be to run the sub of the amp. if i need to take the sub out, and i still wanna listen to music, will i need to disconnect the amp connection from the ehad uni so i dont fuck it up. i will be running the speakers from the head, the guy said it'll be powerful enough if i get a head with about 4x45 and up. i'm still tossing up 6x9's. can you put them in the back doors instead of the parcel shelf. if so, what would that sound like?
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

wouldnt put them in the back door. i reccomend definately get sum 6x9s, if the amps gonna be in the boot, just dissconnect the wires at the amp or sub box, dont really matter, heard better sounding cheap subs over the xplods.
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

i was thinking the amp in the car, under the driver or passenger seat, probably the driver, caus the seat wont ever move back or forward. could i do that, can i have a box, with the terminals on the outside, and sintead of soldering the terminals, just clip them? and i got a mate that could do the parcel shelf for me if i buy him a slab or something, so thats no worrys. do u reccomend any cheaper subs? brisbane car sound have pre-fab sub boxes for $69 with terminals and carpet covering, you recon it's worth it? and for the same price, u can get a 10 inch boss audio sub as well. my whole system this far is all boss audio (sub, 4" 2 ways and tweeters) and i have no idea what head unit to get. i only got into cars recently after a mate took me for a spin in his 180 sx, it has a stack of engine mods, and fuck it's fast.
rb dude
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

cash converters have a sub called weconic they have higher output better sound quality and lower price then the sony subs i think they even look better in the enclosure then the xplods but in the end its your choice if it was me id be getting a pioneer enclosure already decked out wid some beefy woofers
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: New stereo in TE, please help Reply with quote

$5000 easy
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

sony and pioneer subs are shit, poineer head units on the other hand are a work of art Smile

get american speakers, u will never look back
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

if theres a jaycar near buy they got responce subs now with huge rubber surround and can handle alot and they are cheep
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

dont run 6X9s if you have a sub, a sub is there to produce the low frequencies, just use 5.25"/6"/6.5" speakers for rear fill, have your splits in the front.

Suggested brands for speakers:

Rockford Fosgate
Cadence
Alpine

Suggested Subwoofer Brands:

As Above

Suggested Head Units:

Alpine
Alpine
Alpine

on a personal note, pioneer stuff sucks about as much cock as yobbo and gene combined.....thats a lot of cock!!
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

pioneer headunits are the best. uer frindly and more options Very Happy
the rest of pioneer range is shit
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE Reply with quote

Alpine range of speakers aint bad, except for the DDDrive spits, expensive and just dont have the performance to justify the price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: