HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Whinge re: 50kph limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

OK people,

Just thought I'd have a gripe.

For those of you out of SA, we've just introduced 50kmh speed limits in any street not posted as 60, which is basically any street that isn't main.

In fact, there are some MAJOR two-lane roads that are not marked 60, which means they are 50.

Which is gay. Simply.

And the best bit is that now old people who don't have much of an idea anyway, stick to 50 EVERYWHERE because they're not sure if they're breaking the law and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I mean.... grrrrrrr.

____50____ EVERYWHERE you GO. It's insane.

Well, at least it takes less effort to double the speed limit now....

Just kidding, I can't afford the fines. But it shits me that I'm not anywhere near the end of second and I'm already breaking the limit!
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

Say it man!!

Those 50 limits frickin' SUCK!! I mean, millions will be late!! And the oldies that normally sat on 50 now sit on 40!! I actually got done by a camera doing 54 on a road wide enough for 4 lanes of traffic!! >Sad
BOB the chicken
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

well leave a bit earlier if you are late or something and remember, if speed does really kill, even saving one live in it the end, its worth it
pig farmer
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

Come live in the country. 100 pretty much everywhere.
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

yeah the orange/bathurst area hasnt succumbed to the 50 limit yet. im with what the box said, if its proven to lower the risk of dead people (or people dying to be precise), im with it
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

yeah they suck
stupid whinging mums and oldies and pollies trying to win the vote
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

Basically, I'm all for safe driving, so if we're all going to drive at 50kph and save 20 lives in SA per year, why don't we reduce the limit to 40kph in all the back streets and save 30 lives a year?

Better still, make all main roads 50kph, and make all sidestreets 30kph.

The streets of Adelaide have been 60kph for years. This is the limit they were 40 years ago when all but the most expensive cars had drum brakes (usually not power assisted), poor handling and often poor visibility.

Now we have cars with 4-wheel discs, ABS, EBD (electronic brake distribution), crumple zones and the like, and best of all they're all desiged to cause as little grief as possible to any pedestrian they hit.

So if cars are safer, why lower the limits?

I'm not talking about speeding here, nor am I talking about driving dangerously. I'm not even talking about being late. I don't speed because I'm running late, I speed because I drive to the conditions.

If it's raining cats & dogs in the middle of the night, then I may be doing 50kph or less. But if it's broad daylight on a Sunday arvo on a quiet (yet main) road, then where is the danger of going 65? or 70? My car has bigger brakes than what Holden originally offered on the RWD Gemini, yet I'm forced to go slower. I have a shorter braking distance than the Gemini EVER did stock!

The answer is the one all the motoring magazines cry for, but the one that doesn't win votes....

Every kid should have to do a defensive driving course before they get a license, and every body who has a license should perhaps do one every 5 years.

Charge 'em $100, book 20 of 'em into the the local raceway on a set date (own cars to be provided) and teach them what they're doing wrong. Tell them where they should be looking (staring straight ahead constantly doesn't mean you're paying attention) and for fuck's sake, teach people how to get a car out of trouble when they've got it in trouble!

Anyway, for those who don't know me (I've been away from the Net for some time), I race my Gemini at Mallala to get all my frustrations out and have a ball, and the best bit is that if I do something really dumb on the roads (which I don't think I've done for several years now), I've got some idea on how to correct my wrong before it becomes REALLY wrong.

As well, for those who don't know me, I'm often going off on tangents, being opinionated and talking shit, but all in good fun. And I'm usually fair (which is why I don't pay out people with RBs, even though they're gay cars).

That all said and done, I hate 50kph speed limits.
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Whinge re: 50kph limits Reply with quote

Dave, you just hit the nail RIGHT in the head mate!!! This is exactly what I've been telling people for ages. The government is just making laws to cover those that CAN NOT DRIVE!!! Car manufacturers implement ABS and traction control because (some) people CAN NOT DRIVE!!!

And hey, if you don't have access to a racetrack, do what I did, go bush and rally!! It's damn fun and you learn heaps about how your car reacts to under/oversteer and the like. That way, if ya get outta shape on the road, you know how to correct it, like Dave said.

PS: By the way the 'millions will be late' thing was from the simpsons... meant to be a joke but anyways...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: