HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOBIL
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

Hey gene. plumb back to me seems like a bad idea, considering allready having problems with air temperature on high side of turbo why then recirculate hot air back the the turbo significantley heating it more (I relise the amount of time air would be in recirculating is insignificant but still). Also I was thinking about efi vehicles where a plumb back should be more essential. how well do air flow meters cope with positive pressures (when BOV vents high side) on what would normally be its vacum side. Correct me if im not using the correct terms.

Q2 and more importantly.
I put together a parcel shelf in my TE SL some time ago (as in b4 i smashed it). It sounded sweet which im putting down to 19 mm partical board. The only problem was it didn't quite sit as well as i would have liked. I was wondering if anybody had any good techniques and or designs to help me out. I was only running 6" 3ways, and the sat in my cut holes without having to cut the parcel shelf away. I really don't want to cut steel work. Any suggestions on neat design will be appreciated.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

thats to technical for me Wink lol
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

that makes sense about the plumb back, i dunno why you'd want hot air back into the intake, i thought the purpose of a BOV was to get rid of the hot air from the intake... anyway...
with the parcel shelf, i spaced mine up with blocks of wood about 40mm high so the shelf fits flush with the bottom of the window. I've got my 6x9's in it which are about 80mm deep but i still had to cut the steel.
hope that helps..
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

hahaha, thats not what a BOV is for.
there to get rid of any back presure between the turbo and inlet during gear shifts. this is to stop the presure pushing back on the turbo. nothing to do with hot air. and u plumb it back to the exhaust manifold
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

haha gene thats not what a bov is for. It takes air from before the throttle body and returns it back to the side in front of the turbo compressor behide the air cleaner. For the original question if you run it back after the intercooler ( if fitted )A car with a air flow meter is the only car that actually needs to have a plumb back (unless you are after a stealth mode)otherwise it throws the mixture rich.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

its to release presure, not hot air
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

you dont plumb it back to the exhaust manifold u stupid cock. u plumb it back to after the air flow meter but b4 the turbo.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

same shit, different bucket.
im just trying to say it dosnt go into the the inlet. and its not to release hot air, its to release presure building up
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV's Reply with quote

On an MAF equipped system, the excess air from the BOV is vented back into the inlet tract before the MAF sensor. This helps the computer read the exact amount of air passing through it so it doesn't run too rich or lean out under full throttle boosted gear-shifts.
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

Its actually to allow the turbo to keep spooling after the throttle is closed, stopping the turbine from going from 80,000 rpm to 0 rpm, and reducing turbo lag. The plumb-back BOV is designed to recirc back BEFORE the air flow meter to reduce/eliminate backfiring by over-rich fuel supply.
SOBIL
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: turbos and parcel shelves. (Attn: GENE) Reply with quote

Again Im no expert but I was under the impression that it was piped back into the inlet side of the turbo. Venting air to atmosphere (I Assume) causes a similar effect to a vacum leak. This Im guessing wouldn't apply to efi vehicles using a MAP sensor only.

thanks for the parcel shelf info from your car.
SOBIL
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV's Reply with quote

What exactley is a MAF sensor? an air volume meter?
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV's Reply with quote

It measures Mass Air Flow.So it is an air volume metre sort of just it measures flow rate as opposed to volume of air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: