HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

electric windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: electric windows Reply with quote

anyone done it?? does j-car or anywhere eles sell kits??
cheers gene
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

jaycar sells kits, and if i remember correctly theres ads for e.w kits in street machine every now and then.

feeling vague,
goons
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

i am curently in the process of figuring out how to do it. will have some more info very soon
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

choice mate, keep us posted; im looking at doing it after i get my car back
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

does anyone have a crap door they can donate to the cause? if not i will have to wait till next weekend and go source one then.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

hahah yeah i have 1-2 crappy doors u can have. u have to come pick it up....

do teh kits run a belt around the original winder??
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

not sure. i have motors from a telstar i think it was. but i have a couple differnt ways i am thinking of doing it. eaither a gear inplace of the winder that the motor will turn, mounted on the door inside the car. or in the door, but i need to cut one open to check if that will work. am thinking the gear way will be heaps easier. also thanks for the offer but i cant get down there. i will just go out into the bush on the weekend and source one from one of the wrecks
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

I bought my kit from jaycar. I think it was on special for like $130 for a pair of windows (perfect for a coupe or wagon). To install, remove your hand winder from the spindle and install a plastic gear and motor to the spindle. The motor part then fits inside the door. Let me know if you want any extra info.

Matt
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

does the whole thing fit inside the door....like can you re-skin the door trim without the winder whole??? i am looking for something the i can do that too.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

yeah thats what im after, is it all internall, or does the "cog" from the winder still sit threw the door card?? im not fussed if it does cos im doing a custom fiberglass door card, but it would be good if in was internal.
does it come with up down switches and everything u need??
gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: electric windows Reply with quote

The cog stays in the same location. They include a plastic cap to cover the hole left when you take your winder off. This plugs in and you can then re-trim the door card and you would never know it was there.

The kit comes with the switches and wiring loom... everything you need to install. One thing that I did was replace the standard wiring with heavier gauge to reduce the voltage drop.

Cheers,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: