HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Vinyl Paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morticus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

I am thinking of giving my dash and roof a splash of vinyl paint. does anyone know how this will go, wether it will come off really easy or will it stay stuck and come up with a nice finish. any other hints or tips would also be appreciated, thanks.
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

the roof will be fine, but the dash will start to peel and it scratches VERY easy!! mines white.. it also one of the worst things i ever did, the glare off the windscreen is gay and i have to re do it every couple of months.

hope that helped

Hayden
TGNVD247
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

u cant paint ur roof cuz the roof lining is way 2 flexible and would just crack the paint!
i did my dash and its perfect but where the sun sits on it all day itmelts the paint a bit so yeh apart from that though its ok
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

mine on my dash lasted for 2 years no troubles, untill my g/f put he feet on it (wearing shoes) and cracked it hardcore
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

lol
women!!! 4 ya
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

every little thing that nicks my dash leaves a big black scratch, its soo annoying, glove box is probably the worst!!
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

My friend did his roof in white vinyl paint hand has no worries with it... it looks good. His dash scratches easily though like TURBO TF is saying
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

I did mine in black and I just used acrylic and lots of clear.

Came up nice and its very strong with all the clear.
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Paint Reply with quote

yea i airbrushed my dashboard, something similar to soop did, but i used about $200 worth of paint, the only thing is cos the dash is shiny is the glare but yea, u can put a flattening base in your clear so that it has the same protection but doesn't have the glare. all you have to do is sand the dash, and clear it really really well, use metho or thinners or something, sand it, then put a flexable primer on it, sand that, then i put a 2pack primer/filler on it to fill the design, then sand that, then apply your base coat, then your clear, and you could have somethin looking like this, it is also posible to do it with another paint, its quite expensive but is used for almost anything with the right preperation, if u want more info on that paint i can tell you, but if u dont live in brisbane good luck getting it, but yea here is a few pics of my dashboard

http://groups.msn.com/AirheadAirbrushing/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=25

and

http://groups.msn.com/AirheadAirbrushing/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=26

i paint almost anything dashboard prices start at $200 and go from there, for something similar to mine, your looking at about $450 but that is like the entire dash, console, and everything.

hope this info helps,
matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: