HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Mufflers etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zep
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

Hey, I'm looking at new mufflers at the moment, more so a resonator (coby style) and a free flow muffler. I've been told that the setup will just sound the same as every other car and not unique, and to to spare the resonator. What do you guys think? What have you go on your cars? I'm looking for a pretty loud sound here. (Pipes are to come later when I have the money)

thanks, zep
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

I had the rear resonator taken out and a 2.5" pipe from the rear axle back. Looks better & sounds louder than standard but not over the top. You could always go a rice cannon if u wanna be lame Smile
Klown
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

replace ya whole exhaust with a straight pipe Wink
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

i made my stainless rear muffler, 2.5" straight through with 3 inch tip, bolts where the origal resonator would and makes it sound more like a late model car. made it quieter while driving but changing the muffler in fron of the diff could make it as loud as u wanted.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

i just put a 3.5" manderal bent system on mine Wink
lol
*head to big*
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

Ohhh. Now my 3" mandrel bent seems small Sad But I guess Ive been told that for a while now. haha
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

Theres been a few posts on here sayin that a stainless exhaust wit staino muffler and reso sounds similar 2 a Subie. Gotta love da deep rumble of a Scoobie : o )
zep
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

I was planning on getting rid of the muffler before the diff and chucking in the coby/resonator with the free flow at the end, reckon this'll be ok till i can afford new piping?
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

I've always thought a mandrel bent exhaust was a waste of money... not extractors/headers, I can see the advantage of mandrel rather than press bent there, but further down the exhaust I really can't see it making *any* noticable difference at all, other than you can say you have a full mandrel bent system (which really doesn't appeal to me personally), maybe that's just me? Anyway, not taking the piss Gene, I have no issues with you boy.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

the manderal bends prevents turbulance in the pipe, leting out exhaust faster and smoother Wink
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

yeah, the further bak you put the muffler the more it reduces the noise...
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

uh-huh

did you read that from a brochure? Wink
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

nope, common knowlage Wink
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

zep, why not just get the piping at the same time as you get your muffler, saves arseing about like that. just save up for a few more weeks or whatever
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mufflers etc Reply with quote

it dont cost too much to get a full system.

my whole 2" straight through exhaust and extractors cost around $320 fitted...quality gear too.

you just need to know where to go.

if you can afford a ricecan, you could spend it on a better system, not just a muffler.

rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: