HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

V6 conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: V6 conversion Reply with quote

I read the post in R&D about the 3.8L V6 into the gem and gene said its illegal in most states. i replies but no one said anything back so i'll try my luck here what are the legalities in QLD regarding puttin one of these beasts into a gemi?

Cheers

Nick
HON3S
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

its illegal everywhere.

So move to an island and build one.

and stop with the V6 shit
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

stoooopid conversion
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

2.6L in a gemini is the max legal n/a, the v6 is 3.8L not legal
2.3L turbo/supercharged is the max forced induction legal in a gemini.

yes u CAN do the v6, but there is alot of work and stuffing aroud with rta and engineers, it is posable, but u could have 2x sr20 gems for the same price
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

Actually i know for a fact it is legal in VIC, engineers do have problems with the size, but however it is in essence no more powerful than a turbo'd 2l, i tried to email ya back Geminick, but it wouldnt go through, send us another one and i'll try again, however i resent it today. As for 3/4 chassis etc, nup not needed. Easy and fairly cheap conversion, try the castlemaine rod shop for more info. www.rodshop.com.au Hope that helps, get your facts straight fellas before flaming him, if what you say was true, v8 in a gem illegal, etc, but people have them. Rod hatfield said its a really simple conversion.
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

That is exactly right. I emailed Rod about it (for curiosity's sake) and I was told the same thing. It wouldn't cost anywhere as much as people have been led to believe on this site if they aren't paying a workshop to do it all for them.

Fitting kit: Around $949 I was quoted, with changover sump and oil pickup.

Wiring Kit now available: think it's about $300

Motor, gearbox, etc: Could get a smashed VP with everything you need for $500-$1000.

Brakes: Probably around $600-$1200

Engineers cert: $400-$500.

Diff: depends if you use the gem diff or other. Say $1000 if you use the commodore diff.

It's a very rough estimate, but theoretically it could be done quite cheaply.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

Thank god someone has the brains to do research before telling people its a shit idea, yeah i was quoted $400 through rod for the engineers cert, and he seems to reckon a lsd centre with only 150hp capability is quite capable of handling the power, we'll see on that one, maybe i'll try a piazza diff. I'll see how it goes, but it won't be happnin till i've got the money, and found a decent engine/gearbox.
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

dont forget to apply the basic rule of working on a car. figure out how long it will take you then double it. figure out how much it will cost you then triple it. then you will be much closer to how long it will take and how much it will cost
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

i was tlking about QLD, me and my brother spent a year trying to get all the approvals to stasrt work on one. but it never happened. to do it in QLD it was gonna work out to be way to much money for what u are getting in return. im not saying u CANT do it. cos u can, just to get it legal in QLD is very hard
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 conversion Reply with quote

sounds about right
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: