HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

wheel nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: wheel nuts Reply with quote

hey is there any way of stoping them from comming loose gradualy
or do i just gotta keep tightening them?
cheers
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

They really shouldnt just keep coming loose once theyre tightened, but an easy way to prevent this is one of the loctite products, I couldnt recommend a specific number, 222 is fairly weak but might do the job, another bodgy one i remember doing to stop from loosing wheel nuts on my skateboards was to coat the thread with whiteout, let it dry and screw the nut on, it will grit up inside and prevent them from coming loose, however its still easy enough to undo them. Hope that helps...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

take the wheel off and spray pain thte threads on the studs, (like the white out) it lock up inside the nuts and stops it from losening.
but they shouldnt be coming lose anyways?
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

all my wheel nuts came loose...i reckon its cos ive got commodore wheel nuts on mine.??? dunno
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

Commodore wheel nuts??? Why??? If they are the correct internal thread once theyre tight you should only have to check them once after about 50kms of putting them on, then they shouldnt change, are they cross threaded or stripped, or are your studs fucked??? I'd check them out as its not too safe if they can work loose...
MRS_GEMI
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

i know i had commodore nuts and they went on fine...but when i took it for a testdrive after a year of the car sitiin in the garage i found the wheels almost fell off (lucky i didnt write my gem off)!!!!

im sourcing some "nutz" and will see if my studs are fucked

they better not be!!!
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

Thats strange, they were probably loose when you put it in there, as its movement/vibration that'll loosen em, sittin still theyre more likely to get stuck by rust or somethin, or maybe someone really doesnt like you, did you piss an ex off??? Just check your threads, if theyre stripped you'll have little bits of metal fallin out evrywhere... Studs arent too expensive, but generally the nut should strip before the stud (softer metal), and usually the only way these fuck up is cross threading or rattle guns (evil machines...)
MRS_GEMI
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel nuts Reply with quote

i pissed many ex's off hahaha! i seriously dont think someone would be that stoopid to do somethin like that! id kick their ass! haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: