HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NISMO GEMIE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

im sure more than enough ppl have opinions of rotors vs. piston motors and personaly id like to see what you's have to say. but we all know that pistons are the best having better relyablility and more than enogh power, although rotors have huge amounts of power but less relyablity.

you just have to know what u want ...a relyable piston street racer or a full sick weekend 8 second rotor
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

i build a car to drive on the street, a sub 10sec car is just crazy for street driving.
13sec on the street is more thn fast enuff,(BTW: street racing is stupid so why do u need such a fast car anywyas?)
even if i builts a drag car it wouldnt be a rotory cos still wouldnt wanna be rebuilding it all the time. rather build a track car over a drag car anyways
my 2.67 cents
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

drag car... oh fun... drive in a straight line as fast as possible. im with gene. track car would be way more fun and it actually takes more driver skill
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eeep! Reply with quote

AAAaaaaaahhh no ya dont. : o ) I'm not getting involved wit this 1. This 1 time at band camp... We all argued over 'Blow thru V's Suck thru' turbo applications. And this other time... at band camp... We all argued over why a 202 is such a beneficial conversion in a Gem. It was soooo cooool, but kinda sucked.
Now you're gonna start a whole new Gemi-site war on whether rotors or pistons r better... Ummmmmmm, i'll take "backs away slowly biting his lip" for $300 dollars thanks - ala' 'Jeopardy' style.
L8trz
G200dohc
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

if you want power you should go with wat i'm doing which is 4.0l lexus v8, i know wat i would rather have, 8 cylinder piston motor or rotor????????
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

i would rather a 4 cyl over any Wink
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

agreed...
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

On a purely physical basis I have a major thing against lumps of metal which go up, STOP, go down, STOP and repeat the process over and over at extremely high speeds. Metal still does not cope with such torture.

In a single cylinder engine the stresses on components is ridiculous. At least with twin or multi-cylinder engines you have another force assisting the process.

Rotaries on the other hand just go round and round and round and round and round. Sure there is a hell of a lot of friction going on, but have you ever driven an engine so smooth and linear? Rebuilding a rotary is a little less complicated and stressful than a piston engine.

For the real world, gimme pistons. For out and out power and performance, gimme rotors!

My bob.
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

i reckon the fulsik 1500 under the bonnet of my car has more potential than a rotary, fooly mate fooly Wink
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: springy clothes pegs, or the other kind Reply with quote

i say springy
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

i guess another factor is fuel consumption, rotors drink way too much, hence the higher power output of a rotor.

both have their good points and bad points, so at the end of the day it depends on personal preference, wallet size, driving style etc

arabs out,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: springy clothes pegs, or the other kind Reply with quote

I find it kinda funny to see misinformed people rave on about the rotary reliability, it actually comes from the days of the NSU when they ran peripheral ports from factory and lasted approx. 10000kms. The big problem with MAZDA rotaries is fuel consumption, basically if you don't have cash for petrol don't own a rotary simple.

I personally have seen quite a few rotors with over 200,000 on the clock that are still going strong. The secret is maintenance 5000km oil changes and new coolant every 12 months are a must. My motor has done 100,000 and is as reliable as the day it left mazda.
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: springy clothes pegs, or the other kind Reply with quote

I say springy too... Da other ones just dont have the same technology of the springy ones.

I know i said that i wasn't gonna get involved in this, but... This is only an observation chucked in on my behalf. The rotor that i used 2 own had 286,784 kays on da clock when the apex seals finally let go. bassicaly on a par wit when the rings let go on a piston motor. But, it was definately more of a pain in the arse on a rotor, as 1 damaged apex seal and its undrivable. A piston engine can break 1 ring and still be able 2 turn over.
The only thing remotely opinionated that i have 2 say about this topic is, i like both engines for their different strengths. I know that normally u have 2 either be a 'rotor-head' or a 'piston-head', but i'm defying convention by liking both. Oh well... someones gotta B difficult : o )
L8trz
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: THE ULTIMATE ARGUMENT PISTON >VS< ROTOR!! Reply with quote

Nicely put brudda... U 2 Kev, very nicely put.
L8trz
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: springy clothes pegs, or the other kind Reply with quote

I like standard engines. Go RB's!!

haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: