HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

G161 Power differences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

According to what was pasted in the R&D forum, the TX/TC/TD geminis have 61kw and the TE/TF/TG had 50kw. It says in the notes that the TE was modified to meet new pollution laws. I know the TF/TG had the air pump (pollution gear) bolted to the side of the engine, but what mods were done to the TE (no pollution gear) to make it drop that much power?
Cheers
MRS_GEMI
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

that cant be right 11kw difference????
84TGEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

Dint gems before TE have a different head with bigger valves and a different exhaust or something???
84TGEMI
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

I think they had different heads, but would that mean there would be a total of three different heads? (TX/C/D, TE and TF/G, the tf/g being the same as the TE head but having the holes for the air pump?) And how do you tell the difference between a TX/C/D head and a TE head?
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

and remember there was only the tx that had the "big valve head"
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

tx, tc, td have 8.7:1 comp
te, tf, tg has 8.3:1 comp
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

early tx's had big valve heads, then there tc -td, te is a really bad head then there tf and tg. and of course the always forgotten diesle lol
YellaTE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

So can u put a head from the TX/C/D on a TE?
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

So theres the TX Big valve early model head, TX/TC/TD head, TE head and the TF/TG head yeah? Would the TE/F/G have run lower compression because of the head? how do u identify a normal tx/c/d head as compared to the shit TE head (remembering that the te doesnt have the air pump hole things)? i think someone said they have mechanical fuel pumps, but i know my TE has the elec. fuel pump?
And if i fit the Tx/c/d head to the TF/G engine thats in my coupe, i should have 61kw again yeah?
sorry for the long and confusing posts
cheers
ExGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

I think the compression has to do with the height of the raised part on top of the pistons. All TE's had elec. fuel pumps TF/TG went to mechanical.
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

Compression can be from pistons (the raised part being the dome) or it can also be from the head. shaving the head on ur car raises the compression, however i dont really think .5 of the compression would gain 11kw....there has to be something else
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

Apparantly during that time the standard method to measure engine power had changed also.

I think with the tx gem, they would not be running the accessories (like alternator etc, and whether the full exhaust was on) to measure power, where as the later gems had lost power due to lower comp and smaller valves, *plus* they had to be running all acc. aswell resulting in lower power figure.

Matt
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 Power differences Reply with quote

Thats SAE and DIN power ratings, they stopped SAUE after about 73 i think. Ill ask my mechanic see what he says about power losses.
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: