HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

My DOHC gem will be ready to go on the road soonish.

What is involved in getting it complianced.

I rang the RTA here in Adelaide and asked them about it, all they said to me was that I needed a front brake upgrade. They even recommended I ring just gemini spares to get their brake upgrade. Which I already had done.

What else will they check for ?

I have a new exhaust with cat converter, it may be a bit loud.. will they check for sound levels too ?

Will I need to change my fuel filler neck at all ? Also will I need to construct some kind of airbox to get the cert as at the moment I just have a pod filter.

The RTA only mentioned the brakes to me but I'd like to know some people's experiences with getting this motor complianced.

Cheers
MRS_GEMI
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

i know the fuel filler neck should be changed. and the brake upgrade. I'll ask my mate tonight (as he used to work for just gemi's) and see what he thingks
GEM4PLAY
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

i got my gem complied with DOHC turbo and all i had to do was change the filler neck, put on a cat. no brake upgrade was required(weird!).
MRS_GEMI
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

how fast does your dohc go GEM4PLAY? i am not sure if i wanna go turbo
GEM4PLAY
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

I only had it on the road for a week then blew a head gasket cause the guy that buit the engine put the head gasket on backwards. it only had a soft tune running 7psi and no timing and put out 110hp at wheels. The Gemi Shop told me it was capible of up to and over 245hp at wheels.

the car should be up and going again tonight or tomoz then a retune on 15psi. i'll let you know.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

How hard is it to change the filler neck ? Is welding involved ?

Can you just rip one off any later model car and put it on ?

Did you have to make an airbox or did you get away with a pod filter ?
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

i haven't even got mine in the car yet but i think the
camira filler neck out of a wagon maybe fitted perfectly
and no welding in volved just the rubber and clamps
cheers nik
GEM4PLAY
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

you can buy the insert that goes straight in to the original neck with minor modification. an exhaust shop should be able to press the new one in.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

A vehicle that originally complies to ADR 35 should not need a brake upgrade. ADR35 came in around July 1977.

Brakes pull up the mass of the car. The heavier the car, the more energy the brakes have to dissipate to stop in the same time or distance. Therefore, an engine conversion that does not substantially increase the mass of the vehicle should not require a brake upgrade.

Some states stipulate that a higher horsepower engine will require a more effective braking system, but other states work on the principle that you can only do the speed limit, and if the standard brakes meet the ADR requirements, then having 15,000 horespower isn't going to change that, unless the car is made heavier from the conversion.

Ben Wight
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

what smart person thought of that great idea
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

so where can you buy the insert from ?
ExGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

The brake upgrade will have to be done to get it passed in SA. The air filter will have to be boxed aswell apart from that just the obvious things like a normal defect. If you need any help speak to Steve (JGS 82587722) he'll help you out.
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

245hp with standard brakes not my idea of fun
Jami
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

yer just a question on your engine
what type of turbo and has it got a custom exhaust manifold.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Compliancing DOHC Gem, whats involved? Reply with quote

i hear ya

andrew, if u need a upgrade let me know, i know a guy who does a good set Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: