HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

re-bulding a G180 --(Todd)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 8:33 am    Post subject: re-bulding a G180 --(Todd) Reply with quote

Ok... final post for this lot.

I'm in the middle of a G180 rebuild. I have the block and it's almost done in the machine shop.

Next question is: what should I do to it... I wanna hit it hard and fuck these WRX fags off (like PIG ETA and INDULGE). Sick of them pulling up to me and taking off faster. Hopefully I'll get her doing 10's and 11's. At this stage, I have 2 options let me know which one or what else I could do with it:

I have a 5speed already with (very nice, loooong) extractors (none of that short bent straight away 2" of pipe 4 into 1 shit) and a magnaflow 2" exhaust with a resi (thinkin of takin that off)

1. Flat toppers, and Fuel injection (ECGI Manifold, not sure what it's off, but it bolts straight onto a gem, pretty damn good too by looks, used to be Kenny's for those in SA who know) Altech computer that I'm considering getting (apparently off a boat), then when I can afford the next installment, put a shim on and throw on a turbo and intercool it just behind the grille I reckon.

2. get low comp pistons say 6:1, throw the EFI on with computer as above and throw the turbo on straight away.

any other ideas on what I can do to beef it up and give these tossers with $150K on the road a hard time?

my appologese to those who own Rex's but I hate them... although Indulge don't look bad... heh!

Thanks.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(hahah) Reply with quote

haha, yeah that indulge WRX is owned by the Mokdassi service station in Para Hills, i would love to see someone drag it off, especially if its in a Gem! Good luck!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(Todd) Reply with quote

Thanks

It's actually owned by the Mokdassi Bros. and it's an Autopro shot at parafield...

I know this because the people doing the trims for the car are Carofano, who also are still doing Indulge. The yellow leather in it has cost $13,000 and that's without doing the floor yellow also. They have 2 x 12" (or 10" not sure) subs in the back with an amp all decorated with yellow leather and perspex. there are also 2 x capacitors.

That's as much as I know. (I've sat in it - shhhh don't tell anyone)
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

A high compression efi 1800 is a sweet engine, especially with a nice exhaust. Incidently, the 4 into 1 headers mentioned will actually make more peak power than the more common tri-y extractors. I'm not sure about the manifold you are talking about, but I assum its the same as a piazza, does it have a mechanically operated secondary butterfly? With the engine sorted, you might do a low 14 second quarter with the right cam and head, maybe making around 125hp.
If you really wanna go fast, then you'll have to whack on the turbo. If you want to turbo it, dont put the high compression slugs in because combustion characteristics are very poor with a decompression plate fitted. You might effectively get 8:1 with the decomp plate, but it will detonate like an 11:1 mule. The cheapest way I know of to get low compression but still decent pistons is a set of flat top ACL's, and then get about a 6-7cc dish machined into their tops. this would probably give around 7.5:1 compression ratio with the 1800 head. With a balanced short motor and a neat head (cleaned up ports, I put bigger valves in my 1800 head) you have a decent engine to start making power with. This power however, is hugely dependant on boost, turbo size and charge temperature. I remeber I had 90hp@rear wheels on 7psi, no intercooler, with a T3 from a VL Turbo. Can get around 170hp@rw with the same setup at 19psi, but thats pushing it without a cooler. Small exhaust too. Turbs is the best way to go, but you have to make a commitment now!
If you want to really go fast, the only option is the turbo.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(ADAM) Reply with quote

Well an 1800 with good compresion and a nice set of injecters are fine but if u ask me the turbo is not my peace of cake. I would opt for a supercharger the turbo needs to get to about 3000 to 4000 rpm,s to get boost BUT the super charger has the boost straight away. I know that turbos have more boost at high speed but at the lights from go to WHOOOOOOOOO u need to eat them up and fast GO THE CHARGER
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(Benjamin) Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly, never been a turbo fan, give me a little whipple or screw charger for bottom end and I am happy.
What I am not happy about though is the price premium for supercharging. Ultimate horsepower will be higher with a turbo, but as Adam said, you need grunt straight away where it is useable.
While superchargers are screwing turbos are still sleeping... Smile
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:24 am    Post subject: INDULGE --(Adam DeRose) Reply with quote

i heard indulge wasn't a turb. mmmm.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:31 am    Post subject: INDULGE --(Adam DeRose) Reply with quote

I went to school with Louie, the guy wid the rex. His family has always had nice rides. He had an EB GT in yr7. His cuz has an M3 called loaded. coz they r. they have 2 servo's and the autopro is now a sprints. The subs are RF i think, they 12's. Thing is though, at the small car sunday all he got was top interior. Nothing else - says alot for the standard of the rest of the car. Looks hot as though.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

I dont know why people keep thinking a supercharger is for bottom end grunt. There are 2 reasons I beg to differ.
1. A small turbo will give alot more bottom end than a typical supercharger. This is because a turbo can be sized to spool up at 1500 rpm, thus 2psi at 1500, 4 psi at 1800, 10 psi by 2200, etc etc. You will never get a supercharger to give this sort of boost pressure at low 2000 rpm without some sort of blow off valve set, and that would be sooo inefficient.

2. A typical supercharger that delivers boost at idle and say 10psi at 6000 rpm will only deliver about 2-3 psi at 2000 rpm. Thus the turbo will have alot more bttom end torque. You will not even reach full boost untill redline, this is why a turbo car is alot quicker than a supercharged car that has the same peak hp.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: INDULGE --(geminiholic) Reply with quote

i heard his cuz borrowed 90 grand to do up loaded but is the best bm you will see in adelaide

gemiholic
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: INDULGE --(darren) Reply with quote

Ha,Ha I own subzero but still love the gem's. It wouldn't be hard to beat those car's because they are both slow. Nice guy's but I bet they haven't worked a hard day in there life. A good tuff piston for a gemini turbo is a vl turbo item , There's a aftermarket vl piston that's still cast but has a hard anodised crown which is cheap but can handle a lot of boost 20+. I should find out about it soon. If you want a cheap turbo use piazza manifold and turbo and you can get an aftermarket front wheel for it to make it flow 320hp from ATS. I would not be suprised if this combo did 12's setup right. Even I might build another gem 1 day.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:57 am    Post subject: Re:INDULGE --(darren) Reply with quote

Ha,Ha I own subzero but still love the gem's. It wouldn't be hard to beat those car's because they are both slow. Nice guy's but I bet they haven't worked a hard day in there life. A good tuff piston for a gemini turbo is a vl turbo item , There's a aftermarket vl piston that's still cast but has a hard anodised crown which is cheap but can handle a lot of boost 20+. I should find out about it soon. If you want a cheap turbo use piazza manifold and turbo and you can get an aftermarket front wheel for it to make it flow 320hp from ATS. I would not be suprised if this combo did 12's setup right. Even I might build another gem 1 day.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: re-bulding a G180 --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

turbo
supercharger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: