HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rear disks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: rear disks Reply with quote

hey all, i just finshed my rear disk conversion. just thought i would let the secrets out Wink

gemini diff, and i use VL calapers, and VL disks drilled to 4x100 (i bought brnd new undrilled ones)
gemini axels need a shim put over the wheel aligner as the disk has a larger one (will get a photo asap)
using VL rear DISK axel bearings on the gemini axels.
and the rest all just bolts up, i would say at a guess that ya offset will be 1-1.5mm out by using the VL bearings.

no i have not tested them, the diff isnt even in the car. but its all on the diff and ready to go Very Happy

cheers gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

What about hoses?
Costs?
Tell us more
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

calapers i had already, dunno what there worth. disks cost me $50 each (cost price) bearings were $50 for the 2 sides. u dont HAVE to get new hoses but i will be. $50 to drill the disks and $50 for he shim (that was a ripp off but i coulnd me bothered waiting and looking around for a better price, u should be able to get em drilled for $30 and the shim also for $30)
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

not too bad , it will be interesting to see how they perform.
let us know if the work(lock before the fronts etc)
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

ok just put the dif in, u will need a new bundy line on the diff, ($10)
u will need a upgraded master or they will lock up, im using a VX disk/disk master
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

Do the rears lock before the fronts? If so, another fix beside a master cylinder swap would be a brake proportioning valve fitted to the rear brake line to reduce the pressure however much is needed.

Although from memory the commodore master cylinder swap is apparantly pretty easy aswell.

Ben Wight
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

nah i dunno, i just asum they would, i have no peddels and crap in my car yet to even test em.
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

Is the spacer ring you mentioned simply to space out the 'step' on the gem axles so that the VL disks fit snugly over the axle and its centred properly??

I am keen to see some pics when you have them Gene, I am looking towards this mod, as it only takes one hot lap to wear the drum linings that much that they are out of adjustment, disks would be a nice luxury.

Ben
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

hey gene when you get some pics can you please email them to me? thanks man
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

nah, i used the vl axel bearings to space the disk out. its hard to explain the shim, i will need a photo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

What were the bundy lines you were talkin about, ive got a set of brakes comin up, would VK brakes fit??? What was the part number of the bearings if you know??? And what did you end up doin with the handbrake??? I'm jus bout to start a conversion, gettin my rear axles restudded this week, and i'm definately keen on photos, you know my email... Any news on the LSD diff???
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

iv given up on the LSD he wont answer the fone, and i was also told there not very strong so there goes that idea. just gonna get a hylux diff put in when the gem diff blows.
dunno what the part number is, just ask for vl DISK axel bearings.
bundy line is the small metal brake line that runs along the diff, it needs to be shortened about 3inchs on each end
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rear disks Reply with quote

i havent done the handbrake yet, but im gonna go with the vl handbrake cable and a small braket on the backing plates
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: VL Turbo Disks and Calipers Reply with quote

Why didn't you use these suckers, they will pull you up in the snap of a finger,

did you know that EVO III, brembo brakes apparently have the same stud pattern as the gemini's?? (so i was told)

i was gonna get a piazza rear end and get ventilated disks

regards
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VL Turbo Disks and Calipers Reply with quote

no need to, n/a ones are more then enuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: