HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

engine prices.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy n disturbed
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: engine prices. Reply with quote

hey all, just thinkin about a new power plant for the zz/z as im tired of the old g161, we think its had some work done on it but i dont know, what i was thinkin was either a g180 or a g200 prolly sourced froma jackaroo, im just wondering what would it cost to have the block stripped down and rebuilt with a few go fast goodies, such as fuel injection, worked head shaved & pollished and what not, cam, mabey a turbo abit l8r on, i want an engine that goes hard, but wont guzzel the fuel, obviously with more power u use more fuel but u know what i mean, if you know of any good place's and packages n shit please let me know, oh n i also will need the engine installed n the 161 removed, and a reconditioned 5 speed gear box built to handel the engine,

any help is appreciated
matt
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: engine prices. Reply with quote

my bros old 2L turbo use to get around 500km to the tank with injection on it. so no i doesnt necessarily use more fuel. the standard 5 and 4 speeds are tough, so you wont need to get it strengthened. they only start to brake (rarely) when your putting out more than 200+ hp,
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: engine prices. Reply with quote

I believe you would be looking at around $2000 for a full rebuild on a G180/G200 and then you're gunna have to add the price of the go-fast bits on top of that.
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: engine prices. Reply with quote

if you do it yourself it dirt cheap. it costed 1000 to rebuild the 2.6. new gaskets, gapless rings, bearings, hone, deck, o-ring block, linished crank, reco head.

a mate done all the block and head work for 300 which helped
crazy n disturbed
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: engine prices. Reply with quote

yea, i can get all the head work done faily cheap, but i dont know much bout rebuilding engines, i lie, i dont know shit, i would like to get a g161 n just fiddle round with it n learn. might do that actually, build a few g161's n then build my g200 or g180,

thanks fellas

matt
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: engine prices. Reply with quote

HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THAT

If u wanna get a reliable engine then it is well worth saving to have done once. I have done 2 g161s myself and cost a forutne in gaskets pullen em apart and putten back together.

Best and cheapest way to go .. find an engine in use that is running ok and either trust em or they got receipts for work done to it. Much cheaper alternative and saves a lot of shiopping around...

If u choose to play heres the cost of things u need and cheapest places to get em..

VRS Kit $45 from Autobahn
Full Gasket Kit $80 Auto Pro
Timing Chain Kit Autobahn $60
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: