HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

sand blasting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roz85
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: sand blasting Reply with quote

Has anyone had their car sand blasted before? How does it turn out? Any info is appreciated
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

i would advise against it.
my opinion is purely based on heresay but it has been known to warp the panels as they are to thin. however on the otherside of the coin if it is done by somebody with years of experience i have heard that the car comes out fine.
so it depends on who where and how i guess
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

look at cugem, its one the best geminis i haev ever seen in person and its been sand blasted
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

Im not getting a gemini done either, its a piazza. I feel that the panels are a lot more duarable than gemi panels. By saying that i do not expect there to be no warped panels at all.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

again i said it depends
it is up to you to take the risk and if u do and it comes out with even slightly warped panels then your new paint job looks fucked
i was gonna do my wagon but went the safe way Smile all by hand hehehehehehehe
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

a piazza is more durable than a gemini??
roz85
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

what would happen to a gemini if it hit a car at 80+km/h?
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

no more gemini...
roz85
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

i lost it in the piazza, sidways at about 90, hit a car (this is hard to explain, but ill try and draw a picture) sideways where my front left hit first and then the whole front of my car scrapped along the side of the car.

Damage u may ask?

Front bar was ripped off, needed new guards and a bonnet.

Only strucual damage is where the headlights bolt in, it was pushed back ever so slightly. Just needed a good bashing.

So i hit it at an estimated 80-90km'h and i only really had panel damage.
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

Ive heard that sandblasting leaves light scratches in the metal surface that come up in your paint no matter how well you prep the car with highfill etc....ive heard bead blasting is the way to go?
roz85
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

yep have heard that too. I was just asking to see if anyone has had their car blasted with anything at all? Bead blasting and there is also a type of blasting where they use walnet shells. THis is supposed to be very good for the panels.
badboygem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

no matter how u look at it....even from the factory most cars have bog in them, and think about it, bog is alot softer than metal is, so surely if u hit a bogged an metal surface surely its gonna take a bit of fill off an give u a not so straight pannel

my say
76gemini
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: sand blasting Reply with quote

Glass Bead Blasting Does it My friend does it for a job and he has to bead blast the Herald Sun Printing Rollers which have to be as smooth as a babies arse he said he will do my gem and he said it works great alot finer graines than sand blasting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: