HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

DOHC or SOHC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

Although its a while until i begin the planned engine swap on my coupe, seeing all these DOHC posts got me thinking. Would the DOHC be better to turbocharge or should i stick with a G180/200 SOHC? are twin cams really worth the effort? all these problems in sourcing parts posts are getting me worried.

cheers
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

As I said before the bores do get oval shaped from piston slap over the years so you would need to rebore and fit larger pistons.

Apart from that the other possible problem areas are gaskets, cams and heads.

I'd go SOHC personally, yet still even then you suffer from similar problems.

Ideally you'd want to slot a late model engine in there Razz
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

Im not particularly worried about the bores as i want to bore it out slightly, but what do u mean when u said problems with the cams and the head? my guess would be the head is prone to cracking or warping?

which engine would have more power potential when turbocharged?

cheers
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

talk to carlos about turboing (aka BlueTC)
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

Nah, no problems like cracking or anything its just that heads are getting rare and with cams you may have to get them custom made, not 100% sure though.
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

sprys green tg runs 10s SOHC
gold/green coupe runs 10s SOHC
denis mobbs red van runs 9s SOHC
red tg (lopsi) runs 11s SOHC

sohc are cappable of low times

quickest of them all CRZYFJ runs 9s (nissan engine)

havnt seen to many quick isuzu dohc
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

Yeah i know about the times the SOHCS are running, ive seen an injected SOCH G180 turbo run a 11.8. ->havnt seen to many quick isuzu dohc<- thats the whole purpose of the excersize Smile after seeing this at the bundoora car show today http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sc&vid=362&car=3 ive pretty much made up my mind...DOHC it is.

Cheers guys and thankz for the replys
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DOHC or SOHC? Reply with quote

ive seen one quick dohc. my mate has one in his zzz. puts out 250 hp at the rears and should be good for an 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: