HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

turbo setup on stock gem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roz85
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, i would like to know what else i would need to make a turbo gem. I know u will all tell me to use the search button, but ive already done this, i cant understand much of it, cause i dont know too much, so i thought id ask u guys and learn. Basically this is what i got:

. Piazza manifold
. Piazza turbo
. Piazza intercooler

I want to know what else would i need to make a turbo gem (any method would be fine). Im interested in buying a dunga gem and turboing it. Just a standard 1600! And im working out the costs involved. Feel free to bag me out as much as u like, but some helpful info would be appreciated.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

well u got to decide if u want it fuel injected or carby fed.
either way has its ups and downs

but u will need a turbo manifold custom made, and u will need to lower the compression of your engine.
you will also need fuel pumps, and a carby that is capable of feeding your turbo substantially if you go that way.
larger exhaust as well
just a start its not really as easy as just wackin a turbo on a stock gem.
but considering u have the piazza gear your best bet is to fuel inject it then run all the piazza gear on it.
if u dont know whats involved in bolting it on then your better off having somebody do it for you.

hope this sheds a little light
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

out of curiosity how low does the compression have to be to wack a small turbo on?
Stock 1600's came out with 8.3:1 isnt that low enough?

PS personally i wouldnt turbo a gemini engine, id drop in a later model motor that was built for a turbo, The G-series motors get way too much blow by for my liking
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

you want to bolt a turbo onto an otherwise stock gem engine?
sounds like a recipe for lots of breaking noises
Rodavo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

As long as you keep your boost at low levels (eg. 5psi) you should have no probs with turboing your engine, provided the engine is in reasonable condition. Injection will cost you more to setup, so carby is a cheaper alternative.
Rodavo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

As long as you keep your boost at low levels (eg. 5psi) you should have no probs with turboing your engine, provided the engine is in reasonable condition. Injection will cost you more to setup, so carby is a cheaper alternative.
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

i did some research a while ago and this is what i have found what you may need for a reasonable setup for blowthrough:
-2L head
-sidedraught carby (atleast 1 1/2 inch or equivalent)
-custom exhaust manifold or piazza manifold
-crossover pipe
-turbo with a carbon seal on the inlet side (t28 would be ideal)
-if you use the piazza exhaust manifold you will need a custom plate for the turbo
-maybe water/methanol injection for cooling (not necessary)
-modify the dizzy (stop it advancing, maybe recurve it)
-move the pickup for the brake booster to in front of the turbo

theres probably some other small things but from research on what other people have done and a mate who builds rediculously fast cars this seems to be a reasonable setup to put a smile on your face.
PhilC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

How much does fitting a 2l head drop the compression by?
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo setup on stock gem Reply with quote

I have spoken to a mechanic who has had a lot of experience with turbo and supercharger conversions about turboing my engine. He said that on a stock gemi engine you could run up to 10psi without lowering the compression providing that you use an intercooler (preferably front mounted). The intercooler lowers the compression as hot air will give you a higher compression. You won't need a side draught carby if you are using a blow through set up, the downdraught will work fine. Side draughts are recommended for a suck through set up tho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: