HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Modifying my own rotors....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD Coupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Modifying my own rotors.... Reply with quote

is it possible to cross drill and/or slot my standard gem rotors and put some volvo four spots on em so they will brake well enough for a 2.6 efi? yes i do have the means to do it...

cheers
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying my own rotors.... Reply with quote

no its illegal to solt and drill rotors , u have to buy them like that aftermarket unless there for race use only, and the standard gemi rotor would be way to thing for volvo 4 spots anyway. ........ suggest u do some more research
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying my own rotors.... Reply with quote

cross drilled rotors crack anyway mate, steer clear of them
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors.... Reply with quote

As 82EVO pointed out - cross drilled rotors have a tendancy to be weaker than non-drilled ones. They should really only be used for cosmetic purposes.
Take for example the Group A cars, absolutely none of them run drilled rotors. Braking companies would have you beleive that this mod reduces weight, increases cooling, and improves performance - Technically true to a point.
The Group A drivers did a short stint of testing/running these rotors and found that hairline fractures started developing after approx 50 laps of Bathurst. So they stuck to using slotted disks - i'd imagine having a rotor explode on you coming thru The Esses would be undie changing material.
Jasyn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: