HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

87 gemini problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msmith
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: 87 gemini problem Reply with quote

I posted this original message ages ago:

"I have a manual 87 RB gemini, the front wheel drive one with the isuzu engine. Anyway I have this problem where i'll be driving on the freeway and the car will just start jolting like and ill lose speed, sometimes I can just slow down a bit a start accelarating back to 100 again and it will be ok but other times I have to pull over and take off again. Sometimes even after I stop and pull out once I get to about 80 -90 it will start doing it again.

It can be simulated by taking your foot off and on the accelerator really fast like the car is jolting.

It only happens when:
Im on the freeway going at least 80
Seems to happen more often going up inclines on the freeway "

Anyway I got lots of replies on this message board. One mechanic has told me that the advanced vaccum diaphragm is stuffed and replacing that will fix the problem, but on the other hand another mechanic has told me that fixing that will not fix the problem. Anyone know which one is right? Thanks.
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 gemini problem Reply with quote

hey mate i had a similar problem with my rb except id have to pull over completely, i got the vaccum advance diaphragm fixed and it hasnt missed a beat. be warned, theyre an absolute prick to find because theyre obsolete from holden s.p&a and wreckers will only want to sell you the full distributor instead of pulling it apart. cheers,weeksie
msmith
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 gemini problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply mate. So it sounds like that part could very well be the problem. The guy put his mouth on it and sucked on it and said its got a hole in it, not sure how he worked it out, probably cos air was getting through.
I rang heaps of places and found one that has it, dizzys in Melbourne so I am glad I managed to get it seperately, cost $80.
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 gemini problem Reply with quote

We had a similar problem with our RB. We would be going along the freeway and up an incline and it would slow down dramatically.. it would cough and splutter and once we had to pull over. It turned out to be a split carby pin.

Cheers
TuFf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: