HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

MORE BRAKES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

VOLVO 4 spot calpaers fit on the front after die grinding out the fiking holes to suit the gemini bolts. (i have not done this so dont take my word for it, i am buying a set of vovlo calapers on the weekend and am gonna give it a go, so i will let u knows.

REARS
my mates has just put on the rear of his gemi wagon.
toyota seca FRONT 4 stud disks on the rear of his gemini with pintara (r31 shape) rear calapers, using the pintara handbrake cable. a small braket needs to be made up for the calapers which is pritty simple, i can try get the plans for the brakes if wanted.
Gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

Just Gemini Spares (SA) sell a bolt on brake upgrade for the front that is fully engineered for $1500. It uses ventilated discs and Volvo 4 spots, give Steve a call to find out more on 82587722
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

I have these, I believe they use Camry discs and Volvo calipers. Not 100% sure since I bought my car with them on.

They do work very well however.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

You have to be very creful if you grind out the holes. If you go too big, even slightly, the calipers will/can rattle, which isnt good.

If you want to do it properly like I did, then you need to turn down 4 cast iron plugs for an interferance fit with the bolt holes on the caliper, and then press fit and file flat. The redrill the holes in the right place. It will take longer and there is a bit of mucking around trying to line it up properly, but it will be done properly and look neater.

BTW my calipers are BMW 7 series which are ATE's and nearly identical to the volvo 4 spot except they are larger and have bigger pads.

Loz
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

$1500!!! bugger that, u can get the hoppr stoppers VX slotted and cross drilled disks and calapers fitter and all engineers for $1200. and they would be way better! and way MORE then enuff for a gemini
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

yeah its only cause sa gem shop is a complete rip off have u seen how much they charge for 5spd gearboxes down in adelaide what a joke
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

hahaha!!
the brissy gemini shop is CHEAP AS!
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

i just sold one of my 5 speeds for $30 haha. still have 4 spares
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ATE's Reply with quote

Is this the brand name? Please specify your posts in this forum to make it a little easier for the uninformed and cut down on useless posts - sorta like this one.
Jasyn...
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: MORE BRAKES Reply with quote

yeah i bought one in perfict nick for 40 bucks and they are sellin em for like 150- 200
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: 5 Speed Reply with quote

I really need a 5 speed the shitty 4 speed i have now is starting to make strange grinding sounds in second when you give it a bit. If anyone has a good 5 speed they want to sell and are in Melbourne let me know, Cheers
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: ATE is the brand Reply with quote

Yep thats the brand. Stick to volvo calipers though as the bmw ones are more expensive and the parts for them are really hard to find and very expensive.

Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: