HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

turbo compliance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: turbo compliance Reply with quote

I dont know how much this affects any of you, but i recently complianced my turbo gemini in queensland. It is a g180 with 55mm dcoe suck thru setup on a 77 model coupe. Guess what i had to do to get it complianced. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I was informed that a turbo setup on any "original" gemini engine of capacity 2litres or less requires no brake up grades etc, and all you have to do is make sure its a pre-82 model cos they changed emission specs after that, but even that he said was easy enough to get around. So it cost me $100 to compliance my 11 second engine and make it legal, now they can only book me on the nitros, gauges, wheel size, height, exhaust noise etc etc. haha.
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

i would NEVER (i mean never!) get into a turbo gemini, let alone 11 second one, with stock gemini brakes lol! hahaha
GOOD WORK Smile

why did "turbo_gem" (david cox??) have to get a mod plate for his 1600 turbo???
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

My car has front and rear commodore discs so it pulls up very well....you have to get the turbo complianced (ie mod plated), but you dont have to modify any thing to qualify for the mod plate. That means if you put a piazza engine in , to get it complianced you are expected to run piazza brakes and fuel emmission system etc, when you turbo charge a g series motor you pay the $100 and they give you the mod plate so it is legal (ie cant be booked by the coppers)
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

No offence to yourself personally Mark, because you got what you wanted with a minimal cost, but your engineer must be completely dodgy!

I say this for various reasons, the main one being a '77 model car should have to comply to ADR 27A right? Well how did he verify that your setup complies to this emmision standard? Am I missing something here?? I haven't checked the compliance plate on a TX/TC, but surely if a '73 model HJ has to comply with ADR 27A, then any later model passenger car must also meet a similar or more restrictive requirement.

I am an engineer that does compliance work, and my company charges anything from $350 to do basic engine conversions, and sometimes that barely covers our costs to verify the vehicle in question meets the standards for registration.

Even though we compliance light vehicles for vicroads registration, which has one of the most prohibitive systems,
I cant see how he can do it that cheaply.

Thinking about it now, part of it would be that when we write a certificate, we have to do it for the vehicle as a whole, not just the engine, or not just for a brake converion.

We couldn't have done your car without complying the brakes, verifying correct wheel sizes and ride height, doing ADR 28 tests for noise emmisions, etc.

good luck to you, anyway.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

btw wat is ADR 27?
western australia it is alot harder to get a engineered car on the road due to alot of trye restrictions and shit
CyBeR GeM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

what happens if the cops find out that u havent complianced your engine....can u get a huge as fine?
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

Dont know about his qualifications, but i spoke to 2 engineers in qld, and both informed me to comply a turbocharger/supercharger modification on a g series engine of capacity less than 2 litres(ie all of them) reqd no brake up grades, etc etc, and as long as the factory emission controls are there on a adr27a model it passes the reqd emission laws. Adr27b is a lot stricter however, and it requires measuring of mixtures etc, air pump and so forth. I am led to beleive adr27a is very lenient on emmisions and is more along the lines of charcoal canister, and pcv/egr/crankcase recirculation etc. Laws may be different in vic, but in queensland you get a blue plate(mod plate) fitted for what you want modified, and it can have a maximum of 4 codes on it. I got my first plate for mod seats, harnesses, seating capacity and rollcage. the engineers inspected harness mounting plates, bolts etc, rollcage mounting plates and bolts and seat mounting plates and bolts. Wrote out the paper work etc, fitted the blue plate = $100. The second blue plate has turbo, everything inspected $100. the third plate has modded brakes, which had to be inspected , meet the engineers designs and go over a brake test and that cost me $350. I didnt use the same engineer once, i spoke to several concerning all mods, and its passed all reqd areas.........dont know what else to say really.
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

U get a fine depending how bad it is, youll have to take it across the department of transport pits to prove youve fixed/complianced it, and they go over everything. If you dont take it to the DOT pits, theyll deregister it for you, and if its real bad, the coppers can tell you to lock it up then and there and tow it home or they can even arrest you for dangerous/ negligent driving.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

Sounds good, I will have to read ADR 27, I thought even ADR 27A had emmision regulations that had to be met, not just hardware requirements.

I have heard of the blue mod plates, but not the 4 mods per plate deal, I spose you could aim for an engine bay full of plates.

What emmisions equipment does your gem have, I assume you have the rocker cover venting to intake, and that standard crancase ventilation system (little 3 way valve) installed, along with the standard fuel vapour containment system?
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

u can fit 6 mods on each plate i was told???
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

i run the crankcase ventilation system from sump and rockercover to a jaz oil / air separator, and it has a vent to atmosphere, a vent hose that goes to charcoal canister in boot and another that vents to inlet manifold. IM sure there are emission requirements for adr27a, but i am told it is fairly lenient for 4 cylinders. it was more aimed at the fuel crisis and v8s etc. Started the big lpg revolution etc.
sage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

mark i'm interested in your suck through turbo setup. i want to try something symilar myself. if you could email me at bparker@unite.com.au and let me know what setup you have. like what carbie, turbo, boost, etc then i'd really apriciate it. thanks mate.
TG GEM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

How hard would it be to get a TG with an Eaton supercharger running a 48mm side draught webber approved?
gemicrusier
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo compliance Reply with quote

mark im intreasted in this to could u please contact me on alan_12345@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: