HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Van Exhaust.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

my question to thepeople is.... can the exhaust tip come out the side of my car in front of the rear axle but behind the drivers door. i know dave from south Aus (with the 'BreadVan' has done it. he said it is legal because it is classed as a 'light commercial vehicle') i got my rego sticker in the mail today and it says under 'registration catagory' that my care is a ' light comercial or van'. now when i went to get a new muff for it when the old one had holes i took it to mac's mufflers at alderly in brisbane. im not sure of the reputation of this place but hes a nice guy. he told me it was completely illegal to have it coming out in front of the back wheels. the queensland transport guidelines for vehicle mods say 'The exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle, must
discharge to the right hand side of the vehicle and
downwards at an angle to the horizontal of not less than
15 degrees and not more than 45 degrees.' but it says nothing as to where it must come out (before or after rear wheel). now i just want to know can i do or should i not bother? if you've gotten this far through this fuckin long post please give me advice on what i can do.

Much appreciated sorry for the massive post.

Nick
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

I don't know what the law is but I rang up QLD transport and they told me it was plain illegal unless it was a transport vehical. Never go on what they tell you on the phone, half of them have no idea, make sure you get it in writing before you do it.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

i was told for QLD it has to be 30cm fron the rear doors (or front doors in a coupe or wagon)
just ring the trans' dept'
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

Another rumour I have heard for QLD is that it has to be on the drivers' side and behind the last opening window.
TDFlaredCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

i was at the transport department yesterday and got a mod book off them. it says in it that. (quote) the exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan which is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plain. and the 10 deg and 45 deg thing is also right. that is 4 QLD

hope that helped
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

it would have helped if it was in lay men's terms but i dont have a clue... does anyone?

if you do have a clue please give me one as well.

cheers nick
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

rear more opening. ie the door joint is not welded /sealed. so on a coupe u "could" but the tip would hit the tyres Wink
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

well gene... seeing as the title of this post is 'Van Exhaust' i need to know if it could be done on a van not a coupe... thanx for the insight anyway.

Nick
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

considering the wheel base is the same and the doors are the same length, i would guess it would be the same a coupe. smart ass
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

Wink
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

thats what i heard
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

then its not whether it 'could' be put out there i know it can be done coz its been done before. i am wondering on the legalities of it.

cheers
Nick
76gemini
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Van Exhaust. Reply with quote

Hot 4's issue Feb 03, bby hsv Te gemini has got the mods you wanna do and his car is registered wether or not its illegal or not is another thing but try and contact either:Modern Image sign design, Ace Auto Salvage, Boss Brake and Clutch or Chris O'sheas Motor Trimming they have all done work to his car maybe they can help Wink hope it helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: