HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

changeing heaters.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: changeing heaters..... Reply with quote

how hard is it to change the tx heater to the tc onwards heater??? like do u just get the heater out of a tc push out the gromets and re-run the hoses or what???
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: changeing heaters..... Reply with quote

On my and other TX's that i have seen, the heater hoses are routed to a bypass switch that is in a bracket on the passenger side fire wall, and then run into the cabin directly behind the engine block/head. The newer models have their heater hoses routed through the actual firewall a little below where the TX bracket is mounted - exactly in the same place the compliance or vehicle I.D plate is affixed to the firewall. So i'd assume that you'd have to remove the said plate, actually cut into the firewall to run the hoses into the cabin and into the heater core. So it may not be worth the hassle. I know that the TX design isn't as tidy as the newer models but have read a few times on this forum that they are less prone to some type of failure or leakage. It made me reconsider swapping over to the newer type. But how much truth to it is another thing.
Someone here may have actually done the swap with the exact info on what needs to be done, but until then that's the gist that i've gathered after poking around in my car, a ZZZ, and a TG.
Jasyn...
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: changeing heaters..... Reply with quote

the holes are actually there already behind the id plate as are the tx holes on the later models shown here by gene's td bay...

http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/progressphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=11

and yeah the bypass is what i am trying to get rid of to neaten up the engine bay... the leak you speak of i have delt with b4 and is a 20 mins fix so that is of no real concern to me. i am more worried about the heater itself fitting... but the more i think about it the more i think i know it will fit...
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: changeing heaters..... Reply with quote

i changed everything to te in my tx gemi, heres what to do
*take out dash
*remove old hearter box and hose
* get rubber plugs to hide old hose holes ( or u can run wire through them to hide it and neaten up engine bay

* bolt in late model heater box make sure u use sealer around it
remover compliance plate and get hole spacing off another gem and use hole saw to drill new holes
*rivot compliacne plate up hear wiper motor, looks neat
* get new or second hand hose and hook it all back up
* replace dash..

it makes everything neater but my tx heater was way hotter that the one i have in there now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: