HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rollcages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: rollcages Reply with quote

hey im redoing the rollcage in the coupe and i have figured the places to reinforce and start from are the strut towers front and rear and then do a x for the doors and a bar behind the seat for the harness's. Now the other thing is should i get a strut brace made up aswell? one for both front and rear?

i knowe the roll cage should cost $2500. Any ideas for reinforcing the carge and stiffen the chassis?
I cant do to much as i want to get the car on 900Kg with me in and with a full tank of fuel
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcages Reply with quote

Just a couple of ideas...
Have you considered seam welding your chasis ? Or even welding strengthining rods into it ?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcages Reply with quote

how do u bring the cage from the front strut towers???
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcages Reply with quote

u weld thru the firewall.
gold tx sleeper were going to stitch weld the cage to the shell
and my ask him to stitch weld the chassis aswell
i cant add strenthing rods becuase cams wont allow it
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcages Reply with quote

This is how a mate strengthened and add a Roll Cage to his Gemini for Gemini Serie Rally and its all CAMS Approved. the CAr has run approx 35 full rallies and won a the NSW gemini Serie a few years back and is still a tight fast unit.

Shell: Before its first event it was fully seam-welded on a rotisserie and strengthened in many places, mainly at all of the front and rear suspension mounts, and the chassis rails where they curve behind the front tyres and become the sills. The only accident this shell has had is a small shunt in the boot from hitting a log sideways, which did not even require a trip to the panel beaters. Single roof vent fitted.
Cage: Fully integrated 25 point steel cage.
- Crossbrace on main hoop,
- Diagonal roof brace (this is very important - I know a person who wouldn’t be around today if it wasn’t for this being included on his car)
- extends through the firewall to the front suspension mounts, from the front leg at bottom of the dashboard panel to the chassis rail just above where the crossmember mounts
- bar behind the dash to stiffen the entire front-end, running just above the bottom of the dashboard panel - it required a small notch to be taken out of the heater box - this is a bit fiddly to install, but makes a huge difference. Without it, many geminis suffer from the A-pillars moving apart.
- crossed side intrusion bars - don’t cross them, have them bent into two V-shapes, invert one and place it below the other the resemble a cross - this is a lot stronger as an intrusion bar than a crossed one, which is actually weaker than a single bar (caused by heat stresses due to welding).
-horizontal rear bar for harness mounts
-rear intrusion bars to stiffen rear suspension and increase body torsional rigidity

Hope this helps.

Matt(mattyhope@eisa.net.au)
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: rollcages Reply with quote

well the car goes in for its cage on wednesday and the man will fix the rust too. i hope $2500 is enuff
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcages Reply with quote

well i had alook at the roll cage for the first time on thrusday and it looks good it is welded to the wheel wells not the strut towers to comply with 3J rules and he has seamed welded the strut towers and lower control arms aswell. just waiting for the drop tank and then she gets painted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: