HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

air filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannerooderro
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: air filter Reply with quote

i dont reley now much bout engines n the like on cars but i was wondering. my tgs air filter is just the normal one but on teh end of it is a metal pipe going form the end of the air filter to resting on teh extractors. why is this there and what do i do if i wnated to put a chrome normal air filter on it? like this http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sc&vid=222&car=2
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

I think it is something to do with minimising polution or heat. To put one of those chrome air filters on, just unbolt the bolts that fasten the air cleaner to the rocker cover. Then go to autobarn and they should be able to get you an air filter made by TFI Racing which will suit your car.

I changed my air filter and the pipe that used to run from the air filter snorkle to the exhaust manifold is still there and it doesn't seem to make any difference at all, so just leave it on there.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about the bit of ducting that goes from the top of the exhaust manifold to the underside of the snorkel of the air cleaner assembly. This pipe is basically to help warm the car up on cold starts and improve atomization under cold conditions. Technically it's a pollution device, but not a necessity. Removing it will do nothing but tidy up your engine bay. I honestly beleive it's as much of a neccesity as seat covers for your rear seat... It's purpose is basically insignificant and nobody cares if it's there or not.
Toss it to clean up the engine bay, and if there's still a metal bit on the exhaust manifold for it to slide onto - grind it off (carefully).
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

I was defected for not having the tube connected.
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

not entirely true champion. when i put extractors on my car i removed it, and the car would idle totally crap. i put the stove pipe back on and idled choice again
84TGEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

it shouldnt make it run any different. Well it doesnt in Qld. it all depends on whether the stupid spring switch thingy is on S or W. W takes hot air off the stove and S from the opening on the end.

no jokes out
84TGEMI
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

its cold here most of the time,so that may have something to do with it
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: air filter Reply with quote

I have a TF and was wondering what to do with the rest of the tubing? The fuel breather, and the f**king air injection crap and the one that attaches to the base of the carby. Any idears can you e-mail me
Cheers Tex
tex@onedollarshort.zzn.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: