HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rotary or not ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
td gem now tg gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: rotary or not ? Reply with quote

G'day,
ive just been offered a 12a with 5speed for cheap.my question is ...would it be worth while getting all the parts for a conversion or getting a bolt for bolt replacement of my 1600? if so ...what motors are worth spending money on.i would really like some help here so please reply !
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or not ? Reply with quote

IF u like rotors yeah, but i would rather the turboed g1600/1800/2000

if your like me u will thrah the ass off it and will be rebuilding it all the time. "rotors have the balls, but can only stay hard for a short time " LOL
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or not ? Reply with quote

your right about the rotors,
but as im only on my p's i am not after a turbo'd gem just yet,will b too hard to get insured.i was hoping that someone on this forum would know sumthing or someone got to do with a conversion kit for a rotor to my td gem.
i would really love any help as i need to make a decision very soon !
thanks all !
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary or not ? Reply with quote

as for insurance, u will find it just as hard to insure a n/a rotor as a turbo 1.8
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

Gene, how many rotary's have you owned to earn your opinion on their reliability ? Being a previous owner of two rotary's i can say that without a doubt mine had no reliability issues that people who have never owned one go on about. The myths of a Wankels reliability issues stems from when they were first produced in the NSU over 30 years ago. They were underdevelped and underfunded workshops that built them. It wasn't untill approx. 1980 that Mazda bought the rights and started to develop the rotary to an acceptable standard (Mazda bought the rights earlier but it took them 3-4 years to get the ball rolling). In the RX range from SI right through to SVI the Wankel engine went from strength to strength.
Even though you love to post smart arsed comments here, i assume underneath the fun and games that you have done a reasonable amount of research on particular engines for transplanting into your Gem. This would make you at least a little more open minded and knowledgable on certain makes and models of power plants eg: specs, availability, etc.
My advice to you would be to go and buy a rotary powered vehicle (maybe a SII RX-7) and own it for a minimum of 12 months. I guarentee that after a year, you'll look at people with a funny expression when they say that rotary's are unreliable when they have never owned one or have only jumped in their mates one on Fri. & Sat. night cruises for about 3 months.
Your research has pointed you in the direction of the Nissan fraternity in terms of engines, that would be because you did exactly that... reasearched. That's exactly the reason why i'm a Nissan fanatic - i researched and toyed with various engines, and i personally think that Nissan has the goods. Mind you, Toyota and Honda make brilliant engines that i wouldn't mind playing with either.
Now go and learn all about the development and technology that has gone into the rotary to make it what it is today. Beleive me when i say that it has come a long way since it's humble beginings.
I'm not encouraging the use of one, just that the facts be told how it is - not how they used to be, by people that have had no experience with owning one for an extended period of time.
P.S There was only ever one gripe i had with my two rotors - They chewed too much fuel for my wallet to handle. Standard with a four barrel carb, they chewed about equivilant to a small V8 when i got stuck into them with street racing. Putting around they were about equivilant to an old Holden cast iron six cylinder.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

no i have never owned one, but my brother has and a few mates, and all they ever hav iis trouble with them, and no there not "back yard barys engin rebuild" there all profesionally done.
one of them spent $12000 on the 13BT ENGIN ALON for his series 3 from MAZ FIX and its always in geting fixed.\
im not gonna hop into something (rotor) that has caused my mates nothing but truble, time and money.
i know if u treat it right it will last i guess, but comone "each to there own" Very Happy
"no sir, i dont like em"
but i see where u are coming from
cheers gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

I think the thing is turbo rotaries are prone to a lot more problems. Im not saying they suck or anything but a turbo rotary would potentially give more problems than a turbo cylinder engine (potentially remember).

N/a rotaries are pretty reliable if you treat them right, its just the fact that they chew fuel that puts me off, apart from that I think they're great !
cni
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

Well said GOLD TX...

I rekon go the 12A and do the conversion yourself, just use RX-7 cross member and grind it, and ask someone on here who knows how to do the conversion what else u need.

As for reliability..all depends who thrashed the engine, normally a well built rotor will last hard...If you go the way of the 12a I have two other points of advice for you.

1>MILD PORT is your friend Very HappyVery Happy basically it is the most economical port to run your tang on, for driveability as a day to day driver etc..etc...

2>When you get the engine rebuilt, when it reaches that stage run it on 2STROKE OIL from the start, will make your engine run a fuck load longer because the mineral based OIL has the potentional to clog the seals and thus cause damage..

that's just my 50cent worth..in the end of the day it is all about you and your GEMINI Very Happy Go hard and be one with ISUZU'S FINEST Very Happy
cni
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

Depends on what Turbo engine you mean...Series IV and above RX-7 engine's when prept properly will go fukn nuts for a long long long long time, as long as the "prep" is done. There is a lot of good Engine Builders out there just have to find someone that actually knows what the fuck there talking about instead of going "OH IT'S A MONSTER BRIDGE K-PORT" which doesn't exist btw.

SR20DET V'S 13BT for example problem wise I have seen a lot of my friends with light to high modified SR20DETS both from S13'S and GTiRs have there fair share of problems with the engine and the same happens with the 13BT's and it all adds up about 50/50...Of course there is always the odd engine that lasts and goes hard for ever and a day.

N/A Rotors are all good, the series IV N/A RX-7 is one of the "BEST RX-7's built" that engine is the closest thing to bullet proof that came out in an RX-7 to date...but just wait till the RENESIS comes out..A GEMINI with a RENESIS Very HappyVery Happy That's what wet dreams are made off Very Happy

The gas aspect too there is cure's there if you look hard enough...LPG is all good for that fix Very HappyVery Happy and LPG means higher boost levels if you decided to fit a turbo model Very Happy
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

hahahahahaha someone said wankel....
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

sr20's are poo Very Happy go the fj Very Happy

and i think MAZ FIX know what there doing and if u pay them $12000 on the engin alone u would think u were to be geting something decent
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

why would you bother. 12a's are that faster than a 1600
MRS_GEMI
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

arent that sorry
cni
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

Yeah MAZ FIX do know what they are doing indeed..have seen the QUATER TIMES to prove that..but it is like everything you will always stumble accross a negative result and people love the negatives...$12K for an engine fuck thats a rip, but then again we got different rotor shops and prices over here in KIWI LAND Very HappyVery Happy

Yeah SR20's aint my thing so agree with you on that one, have yet to work out what locally has a FJ in it...I heard the S12 does, am I right or wrong?
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene/Rotor's Reply with quote

iv'e had experince with a s1 rx7 with a 13b mild port
yes it chewed a bit of pety but it fuckin hammered all day
every day never died so i think it's like any motor the higher the output the more likely there is going to be problems but once they are sorted i spose it would be ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: