HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

twin exhaust?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pimpin_col
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

about october some blocke was talking about twin dumpers on his gemin. just woindering if he or anyone else has done this yet?? im thinking about putting 2 huge twin mufflers out the back of me gem wagon. get the whole 300ZX look cranking. which side of the diff would u run the split? at the engine pipe? before the dif? after? will a pipe fit over the diff on the left side? can u squeeze 2 in on the right? or would u just run a Y where it goes over the diff. any help would be sweet thanks col..
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

I heard that if twin dumpers on a gem would make it sound similar to a beetle, and people may hassle you and ask if you have a V8 in it,

give it a go and tell us how it went,

regards
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

a guy in tge QLD gem club had it, he had a Y piece after the diff (theres no room for 2 to come over the diff at all.) it sounds normal, no difference
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

That it would. I have been thinking about a twin system for my wagon exiting in front of the rear wheels, altho I would prefer to split the extractors off and have a 4-into-2 system. That would sound neat, more like a Subaru then Very Happy
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

its illegal unless u have a coupe or wagon,
"exhaust must exit from under the vehical a minimum or 30cm from the rear doors"
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

it was me asking about the twin exhaust thing i never did it but i had the guy's at superflow ( exhaust place near my house) and they said it could be done from the extractors changing them from 4-2-1 to 4-2 and have twin pipes out the rear of the car.

pyr0
pyr0
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

it was me asking about the twin exhaust thing i never did it but i had the guy's at superflow ( exhaust place near my house) and they said it could be done from the extractors changing them from 4-2-1 to 4-2 and have twin pipes out the rear of the car.

pyr0
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

yeah and the back presure would be shit unless u had 2 pipes max of 1.25" and that would just look super gay
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

To increase back pressure, he could run a pair of three inch pipes, and then weld on some ball valves as the exhaust tips. To increase back pressure, simply close off the valves.
pyr0
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

to get sufficent back pressur any way it's only the 1st 3feet of exhaust that must be the 1 1/2 so you could have the 3 feet of 1 1/2 then weld it up to a 2 1/2 if u want.
just what ive herd on the topic of back pressure.

pyr0
badboygem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

heres a good question....maybe ben might be able to solve....i been tryin to work out wheather a 2 1/4" would be good enough for a lightly modified turbo g200. i know the answer is 99% no but i have a 2 1/2" on it at the moment and no matter how hard fast fit exhaust tried...they couldnt get the bloody thing to stop hittin the diff. so how does a 3inch dump into twin 2 inches?? coz ive looked up in there and im sure twin 2" would fit over the diff but hey im only a dumb kid what do i know. and then just adapt the twin into 1 3inch again thru a 3" lukey muff right at the back. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

First off, about the back pressure, I was being sarcastic about the taps in the tailpipes in case anyone was wondering. Back pressure reduces horespower. Less back pressure = more horsepower.

I am running a 2 1/4" exhaust on my g200 turbo right now, I am currently building a new exhaust as I think its restrictive for the hp I am chasing. I made 200hp at wheels at 19psi with the 2 1/4" exhaust and crappy super turbo muffler. I expect it to make about 220 with my new system, which will be 2.5". Dont know for sure yet, will post results when finished and dynoed again. Will be difficult to tell as using bigger cam and slightly more comrpession as well.

Anyway, if the exhaust it supported properly, and snugs up against the floorpan, then a 2.5" tailpipe will clear the diff OK. I dont konw of anyone with a 3" that doesn't bang. It also hugely depends on how low the car is too.

Ben Wight
badboygem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

so 2 1/4 would be fine if i was only looking for around 160hp at the wheels??
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: twin exhaust? Reply with quote

yes it would be.

ben
why not run a 3" manderl system?? thats what im goin with Very Happy
also why more compresion?? go less and more boost Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: