HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

adive on engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: adive on engine Reply with quote

alright this is gonna b a long 1.

i got a g161 that has lost all power all of a sudden, it wont rev past 3grand and now 2grand rpm, it was spitting sum oil out of the exhaust pipe- but no blake smoke at all, it has a fair bit a engine oil in the air filter, and the engine will stall if u r not revving it, it won't idle at all, i suspect i have stuffed the rings but will that cause it not to have any compression , plus i thougth there would be smoke coming out of the exhust if it was the rings, but there ain't any, ? what do u think?

plus, i can get a g180 sohc short motor(sump,block pistons,rods,crank etc) just has to be rebuilt, what will be invlolved , like will the crank need regrinding etc, how much should the block be bored out to, i want it to still be relaible, and what is a good brand of pistons n rings etc. keeping in mind too that it will be bolted up to the g161 head. how much roughly would it cost to have the block rebuilt, i don't want to ave the best stuff put it in but i want it to be relaible.

so what do u think?

chris...
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: adive on engine Reply with quote

i had a gemi paddock basher ($100) with this problem, just it didn't want 2 rev past 4500 revs, any gear, full gas, it wouldn't go further, it ran on three, and idled like a piece of shit (which it was), took the sparks out of my gem and put it in the basher, and it was all good.

chris.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: adive on engine Reply with quote

I also had the exact same problem in my gem when the engine wasnt even a year old. It was just my fuel filter clogged up to the max, I took it off and couldnt even blow through it. There's been a lot of dirty fuel around in the last 6 months so it would be worthwhile chaning that before rebuilding a new engine for it. If you do decide to go for a rebuild, I payed around 2 grand for a full rebuild on a G180, that was the works... boring, machinging all parts (even flywheel)... the whole lot. You may not want to spend that much though just for a half reliable engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: