HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

paint q's? ive got answers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shit box gemi
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: paint q's? ive got answers Reply with quote

many people have been asking me about paint, how to fix problems, and many different things about paint. if you any questions post them here and i'll help where i can, a few things i want to mention before i go, just some common questions. i can also paint cars in the brisbane area, post here if your interested

-2pack paint does not have to be cut and pollished straight away to look good.

-any metallic or pearl paints are not 2 pack, they may have a 2pack clear over them but are not 2pack

-generally the cheaper the price, the crappier the paint, but there are some decent paints out there for reasonable prices.

-it is best to sand your car using an orbital sander, it saves time and makes a better quality job. (a $80 sander from k mart does the trick)

-pearls can be applied in serveral ways, they can be either added to the colour, they can be laid over the top of the colour, or they can be added to the clear.

-always prewash wit a quality wax and grease remover, then tack wit a quality tack cloth (ask your local paint shop they should have both in stock)

-acrylic is the cheapest way to paint your car, then 2pack, then base and clear. it depends on your budget and the look your going for.

-most of the better looking resprays you see have been done in base and clear.

-always use a plastic primer to prime plastic parts otherwise the paint will crack and peel off, due to having no flexablity, which is what plastic primer does.

-more coats does not mean better finish, if the process is done properly you will only need to use the amout of coats specified on your tin of paint.

-always read the label of you tin, it will tell you how to mix you paint correctly, and you can buy plastic mixing cups,they are only cheap and make things alot easier.

-ALWAYS! ALWAYS! ALWAYS! mix your paint properly! and just as important, always strain your paint before you put it in your spray gun.

i have heaps more tips, but these are just some of the questions that i have been asked, some of them you only have to worry about if you are painting it yourself.
also if you want your car painted in brisbane and dont have the money to take it to a panel shop, i am avaliable to paint your car, i am an apprentice painter, and have sprayed 2 gemini's of my own, i aslo have a 2pack paint that i can recomend and its priced right, so just post back here if you have anymore questions or you would like more info and prices on getting your car painted

sorry for long post
matt
TurboGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: paint q's? ive got answers Reply with quote

Matt,
I would be interested in getting your contact details to get some prices because my Gemini is about to get a respray. Email me at nelpd96@dodo.com.au

Cheers
Paul
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: paint q's? ive got answers Reply with quote

i resprayed my car myself about 3 months ago in canary yellow acryllic with clear over it (all standox) and it has faded so much!! i tryed to touch a few scratches up and the paint i have left over is so much brighter..

i need to get the rear side behind the door panel beaten and resprayed should i get a costom colour mixed up in acryllic? so it fades along with the rest of the paint?
I was told 2pack doesnt fade as quick as acryllic so im guessing if the panel beater does it in 2pack it will be brighter than the rest of the car over time..

any help would be great,
matt
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: paint q's? ive got answers Reply with quote

u obveiuosly ain't that good to say u get a better finish with an orbitoal sander, dats bullcrap u get fine sctraches that u can see in your topcoat once it's painted. they only use an orbital sander cause it's quicker u get a better looking paint job doing it by hand, i am also an apprentice spraypainterr.

chris...
shit box gemi
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: paint q's? ive got answers Reply with quote

paul, i charge $400 to paint a gemini in 2pack paint, all that includes is for me to spray it, thats it, you have to have the place to spray it and do all the prep work.
shit box gemi
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: paint q's? ive got answers Reply with quote

bayce, i'll tell u how to fix it or what i think u should do but it'll have to be l8r cos im bit busy atm, n fuckin so many peeps wanna talk to me on msn, i feel special, so i'll let u know l8r, u just might have to remind me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: