HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

weber/fuel probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

hello,
I have just put on a Weber 32/36 carb on, and all is well except one thing.
Every time I turen the car off, the fuel seems to be draining back into the fuel tank, like theres meant to be fuel filled up within the fuel filter, but it all drains out. Which means, that when i start the car, it coughs and splutters a bit until the manifold has fuel in it, then the car goes. Also, the manifold has to be like fully full with fuel, otherwise when I accelerate, the carbie makes this small popping explosion. It seems as though theres not enough juice getting into the carbie.
I dont have any blockages in my fuel lines, they are all good...
ANY help would be much appreciated Smile

Thanks
Bern

PS, sorry for the lenght
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

have u hooked the right lines up?
it sounds like u have run the wrong fuel lines to the carby
plus do u run a T section to act as a return line?
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

maybe your fuel pump?, is everything sealed properly
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

Na, its not my fuel pump, I have a reasonably new one and all the seals are right.
I dont have a return line though, the return line is blocked off with a bolt in it.
Do you recommend, that I get a T-Section and run the return line aswell off the inlet line? but wouldnt this just make the fuel circulate through the lines and not go into the carbie??
The weber I have only has one fuel inlet pipe aswell...are there meant to be 2 of them?

Thanks guys

bern
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

do u run the electric pump?
or is it a mechanical pump?
i would pull both fuel lines off and check the flow of fuel coming out of each. and the one with the most fuel flow whack that on the carby
yes they are supossed to have one inlet
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

That popping explosion sound thing (it's not just a sound, I have seen 30cm high flames come out the top of my carby once), as you may be able to tell I had the same thing. I didn't have the fuel problem you are having, just when the engine was cold (so same as yours) it would pop and be shit. My problem was my weber was jetted incorrectly, so maybe you want to check that? Take the top of the carby and unscrew the jets and check them... Go to the weber conversion site in the links section.

Robbo

PS, I haven't been able to check my brother's car yet, like I said I would a few days ago.
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

Ok, when you say "jetted incorrectly" do you mean, the amount of fuel thats goin into the carb? Like, do I have to give the fuel mixture screw a turn or so to change the level of juice gettin into it?? Or do I have to start ripping the carbie apart and doing shit to it?

Thanks

Bern
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

when it backfires through the carby its timing, because mine used to do it every morning untill i did the timing properly. Mine happened to be retarded to much but once this was fixed it has never done it again. Although the flames out the carby are fun when your mate nearly loses his eyebrows for holding his mug head to close.
THRLLR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

Mate, ive got a 32/36 and have had every fukn problem with it. including yours...
the popping explosion is due to the jets...incorrectly jetted. u need to get the thing ripped apart and put in jets to suit the engine. for eg. mine came off a 2lt cortina and i needed to get it rejetted for my 1800. once rejetted and reconditioned the carby and car has run beautifully. the fuel draining back maybe the problem with the inlet. like the other guys have said.
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

well, my weber is off a Gemini, so its allright regarding jets and shit, but I think u might be right about the timing, my timing is a bit out of wack, so i'll get onto that and see how I go!!
So, thanks for all the advice fellas, I'll put it to good use!

Bern
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: weber/fuel probs Reply with quote

No Gemini's came with Weber's stock, so therefore at some stage it must have been originally on another motor. And that motor would have more than likely needed different jets, and there is nothing to say (other than ripping it apart (not as hard as it sounds... 4 screws?)) that the previous owner rejetted it correctly for a Gemini. They could have easily left it incorrectly jetted. It would be a good idea to at least check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: