HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

THERMO FANS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

melb weather is dam hot this summer and its killen the poor gem overheating like a bitch so i purchased a 12 " thero now my question is where have u guys put yours infront of the radiator behing the grille or behind the radiator?
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

it depends on which way the fan is meant to turn. look at the shape of the blades. if it is supposed to blow air then the outside - if it sucks air, then the inside.
beasty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

I live in melb. to the dam heats a pain in the arse when you got the piazza engine in your gemi. we have a thermo fan in ours it is on the outside behind the grill it really doesn't make a difference as long as you make sure you turn the fan itself over to suit the way you put it. on the fan it's self it should say this side to engine. Ours is there so you cant see it.(confuses everyone usual queston is "where's ur fan?")
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

ii put a 10" thermo out of a camera on mi TG, in front of the radiator, behind the grill. it dosnt make anydifference unless u are only using it in traffic, as the air flowing when u are driving is faster than the fan anyways
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

will the fan still turn though if it is infront of the grill? On the rb it comes on when it gets to a certain temperature and it is behind the radiator. If the fan gets locked when its off and it is infront of the radiator would'nt that ad to the temperature? I don't know if they do lock up but i still think that it would be better on the car if you put it behind the radiator.

TuFf
beasty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

All thermo fans turn on at a certian temperatures. In our case our EMS tells the fan what temperatures to turn on and off at. But others have heat probes to sense what temperature the water is at. The advantages of having the thermo fan is that it takes stress of the engine when you remove the factory fitted one. We have lost many water pumps diong burnouts with the standard fan on because the water pumps don't like to spin that fast.
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

yeah but lots of people just hook the fan up to a switch without a sensor...
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: THERMO FANS Reply with quote

yeah the switch so it turns on automaticly is like 75 bucks and i was like fuck that
i havent put my therma in yet but yeah plan on doing so real soon fixen stereo in need the beats heehhe but yah i think im guna go for the behind the grille it looks easier anywho cheers ppeople
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: