HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Some Advice Needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Some Advice Needed. Reply with quote

I am cleaning up a td wagon with a g200 dohc engine in it.

It needs a computer and that means spending almost a grand on it (by the time I pay for tuning and stuff).

Though I really just want to get the car going and was thinking about sticking a mild 1.8 (small rebore, cam, headwork and carb)

It probably seems a bit dumb to downgrade in performance but I thought about what I want the car will be used for and the little bit of extra performance is not too important to me. I just want a nice neat run-about.

I'd say the DOHC engine/box/injection would be worth about $1000-1500, please correct me if I'm wrong. (In good condition, has done little k's thanks to continually having probs with the delco computer !).

So I have around $2500 or so for an engine and gearbox. Would I be able to get something ok for this amount (reco'd and running in excellent condition). Remember I would need the complete engine/anciliries.

Also would anything from the dohc setup need to be altered to get the SOHC series engine back in there ? (Mounts, exhasut manifold etc..)

Any help is much appreciated. This is only an idea in the back of my mind at the moment since I'm still working on bodywork and stuff at the moment. However this seems like a sensible option to get the car going again cheaply.

Mind you the twincams are great fun !!!
JC
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Some Advice Needed. Reply with quote

The only thing that will need changing is that you will need to change the gearbox, cos the twincam engine has the starter motor on the opposite side to the single cam. So you will also need to change the wiring to suit.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Advice Needed. Reply with quote

I take it your DOCH engine was recon not long ago? In that case, probably only $1000 max, and if someone pays you more, they have issues. If not recon recently (but still goes) around the $600 mark.

Do tell, I'm interested in it either way Smile
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Some Advice Needed. Reply with quote

Hmm yeh I may just stick with it then. Since I start a new job next week I should have more cash to afford to do it.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Advice Needed. Reply with quote

yeah exhaust manifold will be different
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: